Insulating a shed for Guinea pigs....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guineapigshed

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post and I am not even sure I putting this in the right place. I really need some advice.

My three guinea pigs are going into the shed for the rest of summer and all of autumn, they will be indoors again during Dec, Jan, Feb and probably March too. Technically Guinea pigs aren't outdoor pets, they don't cope as well with temperature changes which is why I am trying to make the shed have a stable temperature.

I want to insulate the shed for them. I have read loads of articles and even ventured on to youtube to watch videos.....I have overloaded my brain and now don't know what to do for the best.

The shed is 6 foot by 8 foot. It was cheap to start with. Still appears leak proof so far. It has just been used to store "stuff". Roof covered in something and inside the celling is osb board.

The outside needs painting with that weatherproof stuff. I know that much and after that it all gets a bit hazy!

My options are

the silver stuff
-Thermal-Insulation-Foil-Roll-600mmx8m
the board
Celotex-50mm-High-Performance-Insulation-Board-1200x2400mm

the furry stuff

Knauf-100mm-Space-Combi-Loft-Insulation-Roll

or bubble wrap or polystyrene

I am on budget but equally need it to be safe and workable.

So what should I choose?
I am going to post this now as it has taken ages!

Just a few further questions,

How do I insulate the floor (am putting down lino)

How do I insulate the roof?

What is a vapour membrane??? (am I supposed to be making the shed airtight?)

and can I cover which ever insulation I am using plasterboard? I am doing this on my own and can't cut wood myself. however I think I could manage cutting plasterboard.

thanks for any help :)

We had 40+** Guinea Pigs living free in orchard conditions all year round with just heavy duty wood hutches at ground level for them to retreat to away from foxes.

So they are quite hardy once acclimatised.

Rather than bothering about the shed insulation I would just arrange for a low wattage Infrared heat lamp fitted to a thermostat playing over their run, they can then position themselves under it or otherwise as they feel the need.

Shed does not need to be airtight, animals produce moisture and you need ventilation to prevent excessive condensation.

** Would have been a lot more if we hadn't seen for ourselves that a Males can take a running jump over a two foot high wire netting fence, and be crafty enough to jump back to their own side.

I know from having bred lizards that you can take all the measures you want to prevent the cold, but you mustn't forget about the possibility of overheating, which can also be a killer. From Chas' experience though it doesn't seem like either need be a problem.

The only time we had problems with overheating was when they insisted in piling a dozen or more into the same space, the ones at the bottom of the pile would come out soaking in perspiration in the morning.

CHJ":1n0hrsam said:
** Would have been a lot more if we hadn't seen for ourselves that a Males can take a running jump over a two foot high wire netting fence, and be crafty enough to jump back to their own side.

that made me roar with laughter, thank you! jumping back over the fence. hilarious!

In spite of the fact I am bit nuts for wanting to insulate the shed for them, what do you think I should use?

With most animals ventilation is more important that insulation. It is usually wet or damp that is the killer. Chas's idea of the infra red lamp is good. (I use that to protect plants from frost, the infra red keeps the leaves warm enough to not be damaged even with the air temperature in the green house below zero C ) most animals need to have somewhere dry and not too draughty ..... good clean dry bedding also. so you will need to get a lathe :)

:) I don't know what a lathe is. I shall google.

Crazy ideas to keep the shed cool!

1. stick up the silver foil stuff with the foil facing outwards to reflect heat?
(and insulate the shed with polystyrene and plasterboard)

2. Paint the roof white?

Can't paint the shed itself as that has to stay brown....

If it's only three GPs [for now] I'd [you'd] provide an insulated nesting box within the shed, then if they're cold they can snuggle, if not they can roam about.

Yeah, at night they would go in their hutch, so in hindsight, I guess I should not worry hugely about the cold, they would have hay and the hutch would be covered, plus shutters down on the windows.

The run part would be where they would spend the day and that would obviously be on the floor. I wouldn't want to leave them out over night in case of rats or very clever foxes.

Back