Inset Hinges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin C

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All
I have a job ( 2 builded ins ) but I will need to get some inset hinges and want to get the clip on type.

I thing is that I am finding it hard to work out which are the cheapest ( Blum ,Hafele or Hettich ) as it is not that clear to me which goes with what ( hinge and back plates )for sure.

I know they are all good makes but can people let me know what they think of them, as I will be getting some for stock also( need some for the unit and wallrobe for my house :wink: ).
Thanks Colin

Hi Colin

I reckon that the Blum are better than Hettich in quality terms. I also reckon that Salice (if you can get them) are on a par with Blum (and cheaper, too), unfortunately they are really only interested in industrial quantities (i.e. multiple boxes of 250 hinges). Hafele sell hinges by other manufacturers including Ferrari, Grass and Mepla but don't seem to manufacture their own - they will send you samples to look at, though, unlike Hettich who charge for the privelege. Whatever you do, avoid the cheaper ones like Lama and FGV - they're nothing but trouble, although they are very cheap......

One thing I would recommend is going for cam-adjuster mounting plates - they make installation so much faster that they're well worth the extra.
173H7100%20Mount%20Plate%20C.jpg

In Blum that means Clip or Clip Top hinges (which also have the advantage of being able to accept the new clip-on door soft closer - saves drilling the carcass or screwing a holder onto the cabinet).
973a0500%20c.jpg

973a0500%201a.jpg

Above: Blumotion for doors
Below: Blum drilling jig for conventional soft closers
65.5000%20Blumotion%20for%20doors%20Jig.jpg

Unless you have a hinge borer or 3-drill hinge boring jig stick to the standard screw-on type as opposed to the knock-in dowel or Euro screw types which both require two extra drillings.

BTW a good source for soft closers appears to be B&Q - they currently sell the Salice soft closers which are similar in performance to the drill and knock-on or surface mount ones sold by Blum - but a lot cheaper.

Scrit

Edit: added some extra detail to try and clarify what I was saying

As Scrit says I use the Blum ones and the cam adjustable mounting plates, I usually get them from Isaac Lord.

Hinge No 71275N and plate No 175H710N

Jason

Thanks All
I think Srit has the info that I needed but I am not sure how clear my question was :-k
I have an account at Woodfit ( I knew I have the job coming :) ), so I will have a look at they prices and at Isaac Lord too.

Thanks for the part numbers JasonB :)

Hi JasonB
Thanks for the numbers as they are just what I wanted and it looks like they are cheaper at Isaac Lord :D
I will put my order in tomorrow
Thanks all

Hi All

I know Paul put up the link for the drill jig but I would like to know how the rest of you drill the holes for them :)
Thanks Colin

I am not sure if it makes a difference but I got the Blum hinges from Isaac Lord ( Thanks JasonB, just what I wanted )
Thanks

Colin C":qcktm585 said:
Hi All

I know Paul put up the link for the drill jig but I would like to know how the rest of you drill the holes for them :)
Thanks Colin

Hi Colin.

For the carcase side I mark the centreline of the hinge and then use one of these and a hinge setting drill like this. The jig only works for standard 32mm spacing / 37mm from carcase edge, but that's pretty much all mounting plates as far as I'm aware.

For the doors I use a forstner bit in the pillar drill which has a supplementary table and adjustable fence fitted, adjust the fence to give the required DBE, set the depth stop, and away you go. As for the fixings
I always use the screw-fixing type so I just fit the hinge in the hole, square it up to the door edge, and run through with the hinge centreing drill.

Hope this helps.
Mark

Thanks MarkW
One small problem is your first link does not go to the page but the main page.

I the seen a small plastic jig that can but used for marking where to drill the holes for the hinges, which will give me a place to make a jig for drilling my doors from not on.

If you can let me see what so in your first link that would be great :) .
Thanks Colin

Possibly the line boring jig 001.27.007 ?

001-2.jpg

or jig 001.34.210 ?

001-1.jpg

The other way I can think of is the Blum Inserta/Clip jig lthough that only marks the centre points it does allow you to transfer dimensions from door to carcass and vice versa (useful if doing a door/worktop replacement - only works if the worktop or cornice mouldings are off, though - from personal experience :cry: ) or the cheaper Inserta hinge drilling jig which is a bargain at under £14 although you'll need a couple of drills on top of that price. These are steel and will take a bit of abuse although they won't allow you to transfer the door reveals, spacings, etc in one hop the way the bigger jig will (although the bigger one is £ 66 at the moment

Scrit

Thanks all
As this gives me the info I needed :)

Scrit
The bigger jig looks nice but as I dont make lots of units ( at the moment :( )
I will have to get the smaller one, but it should do what I need.

I do have the drill for the hinges so that should be all I need for now :roll:

Thanks again :wink:
Colin

Sorry Colin,Scrit, one of theseactually. Significantly cheaper than either at about £8 a throw, and perfectly adequate for the handful of concealed hinges I do. Might be a hassle getting one though unless you're ordering other stuff from Hafele - maybe there's another source?
If it still doesn't work it's hafele stock number 001.33.420.

Mark

Hi Mark

The problem with Hafele is that unless you are logged in you can't see the pages :? , so the product number is better \:D/ . The £14 jig does both the plate and the hinge, so I've found it useful to have in my kit for that reason - I suppose it depends if your doors come pre-drilled (mine generally don't). Sadly Hafele have a minimum order value of £75 + VAT, although people like Woodfit will supply anything in the Hafele catalogue as they are Hafele redistributors. Anyone know is Isaac Lord do something similar?

Scrit

I have looked at the Isaac Lord site and cant find any thing like I have been shown here :? .
Or it might just be me :roll:

And for even less outlay you can make a jig for the 35mm holes like this, either with a hole for a 40mm guide bush and plunge cut with a hinge bit in the router or a 35mm hole and run the bit in a cordless, just replace the board as the hole wears after a 100 or so holes. The two screws allow for adjustment of edge spacing.

jig1.jpg

jig2.jpg

And for the mounting plates one of these works fine with a bradawl or seld centering drill, two sets of holes are for 37mm backset and 37mm plus door thickness if using inset hinges.

jig3.jpg

Jason

Thanks again JasonB
I have done these hinge before but I would like a way to set them quickly and you have given me that :) ( this is to all how has posted )

JasonB
I have a few question on your jigs :)
1/ How far from the edge of the door have you got the hinge on it
2/ The plate jig, can you give a bit more info on how far from the edge the hole are :)
Thanks for the time
Colin
Ps I will be posting pics of the units I have to make plus one for my bathroom ( SWMO will be happy when its finished :roll: )

Latest posts

Back