Inlaying using a router tips?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to create a template for these handles so I can just cut them out with a pattern bit.

handle.jpg

I have been following this guide, but this calls for a 23mm guide which i don't have.

http://www.routerworkshop.com/revinlay.html

I bought a kit with these sizes:
Bush sizes: 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 51/64" (7.9mm, 9.5mm, 11.1mm, 12.7mm, 15.9mm, 19.0mm, 20.2mm).

I can't work out which bit and which bushing to use. How do I work this out so I have an exact negative of the handle cut out of a piece of wood?
sorry if this is an silly person question!
Thanks

have you tried making a wooden/card washer with an inner and outer diameter equal to the offset of the guide you do have and then use that to offset a pencil and draw around to make your template. this will give you an oversize jig that encompasses the additional space needed for the jig and when you use your router with the give the resulting shape with be the same size

Assuming I understand correctly, if the bushes are like having a standard 30mm template ring (albeit different sizes to 30mm) then the distance between the edge of your template and the actual line you want to route needs to be the bush diameter minus the router cutter diameter, divided by two.

For example, the kitchen jigs I've used all call for a 30mm ring/bush and a 1/2" (12.7mm) cutter. The cutter will route a line that's (30-12.7)/2=8.65mm away from the template. If you're thinking in terms of the diameter of a circle, both opposite "sides" of the circle will be 8.65mm away from the template, thus the template needs to be 30-12.7=17.3mm larger than the hole you want to cut (e.g. a 117.3mm dia template to cut out a 100mm circular hole). If you wanted a 100mm disc then you'd need to add twice the diameter of your router bit - e.g. a template that was 117.3+2x12.7 (assuming you're following the inside of the template).

What's not clear to me is: do you want to route out a piece of material that's the shape of the area with the screw holes, or do you want to route the recess areas onto a sheet of material?

Doing the former may be difficult as you'd need a template with a central join (for the horizontal section) that was far enough "back" from the actual cut (which may be difficult as it's thin). In that event you may be better creating a template that's an exact copy of the part, then use a template following bit; a cutter with a bearing on the top (to follow the template), rather than a flush trimming bit (that has a bearing on the end).

hrk":a2vdvdhi said:
I have been following this guide, but this calls for a 23mm guide which i don't have.

http://www.routerworkshop.com/revinlay.html
I don't think that the lack of the 23mm guide bushing is your problem here, surely you can't use the handle directly to cut the necessary template because it's not flat on top and/or on the bottom?

I think the first thing you have to do is make a same-size template in 6mm hardboard, if that's still a thing over here, or MDF, and then work out from that to create the routing template.

hrk":a2vdvdhi said:
I bought a kit with these sizes:
Bush sizes: 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 51/64" (7.9mm, 9.5mm, 11.1mm, 12.7mm, 15.9mm, 19.0mm, 20.2mm).
If you're not using an Imperial bit try to use the 7.9mm bushing if possible since that's closest to being an even full-millimetre size.

Back