Info on Smith Planer & Startrite 18-T-10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrips

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just bought an old Smith Planer and I'm trying to find its weight first of all, so that I can get it shipped:

$T2eC16JHJHIE9nysd6D7BQ33!GLgt!~~60_58.JPG

%2524T2eC16NHJHIE9nyseGtBBQ33S1F9J%2521%257E%257E60_58.JPG

It would be nice to find a manual/reference or a link to someone who knows about these machines, but I'm not finding much on the manufacturer thus far. It has 'exico' written on it's aluminium tag, which I think is a company who supplies motors, and I suppose who've been used to test and rate the machine. So if anyone knows where to look or has any info, it would be appreciated.

Also does anyone know the approximate weight of a Startrite 18-T-10? That's not a question for a Monday morning is it, unless you're speaking to Startrite of course.

Can't help on the Startrite but why not give Smiths a ring they are still going in liverpool 0151 548 9000 I used to have a very similar machine.

I reckon 600kg, If your shipping on a pallet. Your allowed upto a tonne for normal pallet courier services.
Nice lump of iron by the way. That motor is not original
Mark

Yep it's been changed to single phase. Apparently it's gonna be 2 half pallets given the extreme width. Tuesday will tell, 'hope the snow clears for then.

Nice lump of timber there wallace. It is nice isn't it. I was thinking it's a shame there's no thicknesser but I reckon it will be handy to have seperate machines for bigger jobs. So, a thicknesser is the next big thing.

Are you getting it transported by a pallet courier firm. Be carefull, I got some stuff collected once and because the seller put them on two really little pallets instead of standard 1200 by 1000 they charged me twice because it was two pallets. These people are pretty good, http://www.nationalpallets.co.uk/ I've used them a few times. They do oversize pallets. It looks like your planer's base would fit on a standard pallet with the tables overhanging. The trunk I was stood on is at Cragside, a national trust property. The tree was massive, a few hundred feet tall. I managed to get some bits of side limb for turning. It was realy nice stuff.
Are you going to make the planer all nice and pretty or keep its working clothes on?

Wallace - I think I'll just be doing what I need to do to the planer for now and get chucking wood through it, that said I need a thicknesser first. It was bought from a good auction house apparently, who deal exclusively with machinery so I gather it's been well looked at already. Anyway someone at the receiving end will know better than me what needs doing, but I'll probably prettify the bed at least. Let me know your thoughts on that if you would, I see you've done a few revivals yourself.

The pallet company is a local firm recommended by a friend of the seller and they've been pretty good so far, letting me know about pallet restrictions before I get bitten, and it's good to be able to speak with the yard who will send the wagon .

Latest posts

Back