Infill Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding of an infill plane is a metal shell (sole and sides) filled in or 'infilled' with wood. The infill typically contacts all 3 inside surfaces of the shell - the insides of the sidewalls and the sole, and is usually shaped and contoured in a way that it relates (technically and visually) with the metal sides and sole. The wood and metal are fully integrated as opposed to a Stanley style plane where the front knob and handle are simply attached to the sole.

cheers,
konrad

If I had a "man bowing down" emoticon I would be using it right now for Konrad... He builds some amazing infills!!! 8)

Konrad

Welcome to the forum.
Ideal place for me to say once again, thank you for the set of planes, they're still getting plenty of use.

Welcome Konrad!

Now that you're a member I hope we can see further examples of your art posted here and watch out...you could have your brain picked a few times.... :mrgreen:

Jim

thanks for the welcome wishes everyone.

Mike in Kincardine - we are up that way quite often to the family cottage in Point Clarke. Our kids always love going to Finchers (they called it Pinchers when they were really little). We have well over a foot of snow on the ground right now - the way winter should be! We are going to be up later in the month and I am sure we will need to make at least one trip into town.

Tony - really pleased to hear the planes are getting plenty of use. That was a really fun family of planes to make and to be able to hand deliver them was a real treat.

Jim - I make it a policy not to use woodworking forums as a marketing and sales venue. I consider it to be tacky, poor form, and frankly, disrespectful to the people using the forum. Maybe I spent too many years in advertising and have developed a overly sensitive gag reflex in this regard… but I see far too many people using the various woodworking forums to self promote.

I have been enjoying watching your various builds over the last several months - great to see yours and others work. You are welcome to pick my brains anytime - just leave me a few bits ok:)

Cheers,
Konrad

Damn...
I knew my naf no.5 whitmore was at the bottom end of the planning scale of quality but I've never looked at it and hated it until now.

From what I have been lead to believe, Konrad does not and has no need to advertise on this or any other forum. I am surprised, but gratified, that he has joined this forum - you makers of infills will be happy to listen to his advice - I'm sure that he, like me, has never made a mistake in wood or metal :roll:

The Les Paul(s) are sitting patiently in the shop. I have a date with a professional maker who is going to swap 'shop vacations' with me in the next month or two. He has always fancied an infill and I would love to get my Les Pauls completed.

Jack - if you are ever in the K-W area - stop in and I can show you pile of non-mistakes - neither wood nor metal:)

Cheers,
Konrad

bobbybirds":10zxua06 said:
If I had a "man bowing down" emoticon I would be using it right now for Konrad... He builds some amazing infills!!! 8)

Let me help you with that...

th_WereNotWorthy.gif

BugBear (seconded)

Back