India’s successful Moon Landing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But not starvation.
There are food banks and there is massive malnourishment.
What is the point of the comparison?
Are you suggesting that poor Brits should get no help or sympathy if they are better off than poor Indians?

There are food banks and there is massive malnourishment.
What is the point of the comparison?
Are you suggesting that poor Brits should get no help or sympathy if they are better off than poor Indians?
Have you ever been to India?
Have you seen the poor and esp the disabled begging on the streets.
Have you seen trucks filled with rice being transported to those in need.
Have you seen hospitals where painkillers are a optional extra if you can afford it!

1.Have you ever been to India?
2.Have you seen the poor and esp the disabled begging on the streets.
3.Have you seen trucks filled with rice being transported to those in need.
4.Have you seen hospitals where painkillers are a optional extra if you can afford it!

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Not sure how you instinctively are supposed to know whats in a random truck,or its destination, but lets all say no to that one.
4. I've never visited the United States.

Last edited:
There seems to be at least two separate conversations in this thread.
Returning to the original one; India has done a great job on a very modest budget; that probably explains the "Tom & Jerry style" animation of the landing :)
Though to be fair the 75 million is just for this launch and not all the backup and "overheads", I would assume!
As to whether India should be spending billions on their space program, which they do, rather than using said billions to solve their economic/social problems, my heart leans towards "not really", but my head says that my heart is a Luddite and I should consider how the investment will help the country as a whole in the long run!

There seems to be at least two separate conversations in this thread.
Returning to the original one; India has done a great job on a very modest budget; that probably explains the "Tom & Jerry style" animation of the landing :)
Though to be fair the 75 million is just for this launch and not all the backup and "overheads", I would assume!
As to whether India should be spending billions on their space program, which they do, rather than using said billions to solve their economic/social problems, my heart leans towards "not really", but my head says that my heart is a Luddite and I should consider how the investment will help the country as a whole in the long run!
Is there not some trickle-down effect when governments spend millions on technology?
I'm not suggesting it'd cure poverty, but putting money into the economy, rather than taking it out, as I believe a lot of India's many recently created millionaires and billionaires do, can't be all bad.
Can you solve the poverty problem by simply throwing money at it? I don't know the answer to that.

The point I was highlighting is that it seems rather odd for a country to accept / need aid from other countries and have at the same time a space program. The Europeans have a combined space program to spread the cost to mitigate its economic impact, and they are all first world countries. If you can afford a space program you don’t need foreign aid.

Is there not some trickle-down effect when governments spend millions on technology?
I'm not suggesting it'd cure poverty, but putting money into the economy, rather than taking it out, as I believe a lot of India's many recently created millionaires and billionaires do, can't be all bad.
Can you solve the poverty problem by simply throwing money at it? I don't know the answer to that.

Precisely my point!
And the answer to your last question is.... No!

Can you solve the poverty problem by simply throwing money at it? ....
You can if the shops are open!
Ask a starving person which they would prefer; money to buy food, or career and life-style advice.
Of course money is the primary answer, lack of it is generally why they are starving, or unable to move themselves away from regions of famine etc.

You can if the shops are open!
Ask a starving person which they would prefer; money to buy food, or career and life-style advice.
Of course money is the primary answer, lack of it is generally why they are starving, or unable to move themselves away from regions of famine etc.
I meant on a national scale. On a individual level, certainly. If, as you say, the shops are open - and they have food in them.

I meant on a national scale. On a individual level, certainly. If, as you say, the shops are open - and they have food in them.
I was being facetious - on a national scale money is still the answer. Not having enough money is always the problem, (excepting anorexia, illness etc.)

Don't worry about Phil, he's got more friends and relations than Rabbit in Winnie the Pooh, and they all provide anecdotes to shore up his opinions.
Nah, I quite like Phil - he's helped/advised me over the years on bit n bobs - and I was trying not to make it sound like I was responding to him per se (did I use that correctly!). I'm always happy with the, 'agreed to disagree' methodology. In fact, my mate Dave across the road was discussing something similar with me the other day. Lovely conversation it was too about how the US/UK have always (historically) abuse or allow abuse to take place. So long as it's not their own.

When he asked about, "then why do all the Afghans want to desperately come over"... Well, I'm not sure they do and I couldn't exactly say, "Dave, you need to stop reading the Sun and Times". Anyway, thanks all once again and hopefully Phil and me stay friends (if he classes me as such). 😊

There are problems in the UK, but to compare poverty in India to the UK to illustrate the inability of the UK to deal with issues is, bluntly, bonkers. The characteristics of poverty may include:
  • street sleepers - 1.8m in India, approximately 30 times the UK rate
  • sewage - India - 66% of urban homes are not connected to the sewage system
  • literacy - India 75%, UK 99% (sometimes find that difficult to believe)
  • water - India - about 40% of rural properties do not have a clean water connection
  • malnutrition - India sits close to the bottom of international league tables with severe child stunting. The UK are close to the top of the obesity league table.
This is not intended as a criticism of India - they have made substantial improvements over the last 2 decades. There is a fundamental difference between relative and absolute poverty in a society!

A personal view:
  • spending public money on the arts, environment, culture and tradition feeds free-thinking, aspiration and creativity.
  • a society that forces compliance with central diktats because they are moral or entirely rational denies its citizens the freedom to grow and develop.
This may be the main reason why command economies have never enjoyed long term success and are so difficult to identify. Aid to India - engineering a moon landing evidences the capacity for choice. Providing aid is no longer a moral issue but should be driven by rational mutual benefit.

Technically speaking money is irrelevant. Access to resources is what counts. Admittedly, in practical terms this equates to money, because we (society) says it does.
There are enough resources to go around, though we (mostly people in the "first world countries") would have to have a few less foreign holidays a year, but there is enough. Of course, a couple of billion less people in the world would help, but the real problem is that 1% of the people in the world own/control/horde 50% of the world's resources, and we put up with this. Imagine being at a large table with 100 people and a huge pizza is brought in. What would we do if one person claimed half the pizza, and the next person took a big slice too and so on? We might object!

Technically speaking money is irrelevant. Access to resources is what counts. Admittedly, in practical terms this equates to money, because we (society) says it does.
There are enough resources to go around, though we (mostly people in the "first world countries") would have to have a few less foreign holidays a year, but there is enough. Of course, a couple of billion less people in the world would help, but the real problem is that 1% of the people in the world own/control/horde 50% of the world's resources, and we put up with this. Imagine being at a large table with 100 people and a huge pizza is brought in. What would we do if one person claimed half the pizza, and the next person took a big slice too and so on? We might object!
https://gala.gre.ac.uk/id/eprint/33...a_Progressive_Annual_Wealth_Tax_(2021)_v2.pdfhttps://gala.gre.ac.uk/id/eprint/42714/9/42714_TIPPET_The_good_life_at_the_top.pdf

I also always ask for vegetarian in the hospital canteens and watch for thr bacon being splashed onto my eggs
Yes I can completely understand the issue, some people just do not fully understand and you see so many incidents where they do not quiet get what being vegetarian is all about. Typical example is cooking so called vegetarian food on the same hotplate as something which once walked or cooking it in the same deep fat fryer along with dead things and being told that it is ok because the hot oil is neutral and ensures the vegetarian product is still vegetarian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back