Incrdible metal work skill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Duncanh,

I wouldn't have missed that for the world.

And they (whoever they are) say that craftmanship is dead and we can't match the ancients.

Its not true but I am quite sure it was just as rare then as it is now. I bet the modern guy got a bit more than rice for it though. I do wonder how much he was paid for four months of mind boggling work.

Blimey - he's not half bad is he? That was a bloomin' good watch and was indeed mesmerising. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Didn't like the scraping sounds though....yuch, made my jaw go all funny. 8-[

Mark

WOW!!! that was indeed mesmerising to watch, there aint many youtube vids of that length I can sit through, but both of those were awesome (in the proper sense of the word, not with an annoying accent :lol: )

I looked at how long it was and thought I wouldn't watch it all but couldn't stop!

That said IMHO it looked a damn site more sexy before he patinated it...

Thanks for the link.

That is a beautiful piece of work. The dedication, patience and skill that went into it really are something!

On a lower note. When we lived in Stroud our neighbours daughter was training to be a jewler and I was asked if I could make her a jewlers bench, just like the bench he was using to do his fret work on. That was a nice commision and she is still using it as far as I know. I had to make several 'anvils', the small vee shaped part that he was actually sawing in, because as they are the main working/cutting part they get worn. `it's fascinating to see just how it is used!

Thank you for the link, but it's made me very late for my bed after a bleedin hard day trying to find a water leak in 50 yards on mains water pipe in our garden!

Thanks so much for that link - really marvellous.
I thought the film was really well done too - just the right amount of explanatory detail, proving that when you know something of how a thing is made, you see it more clearly, and enjoy it more.

Difficult to find words to describe the wonderful sensation of seeing that piece of art emerge. Impossible to guess the cost, he did mention 4 months of work so clearly more than a fiver. Work like that is always for a very wealthy patron.

Pretty ******* Amazing! I really liked it before he 'patternated' (not sure about the spelling) though. I know he was reproducing it, and it had to be that way, and it does indeed look staggering but I would have made one for myself that was gold like in the earlier stage. It somehow showed off the stripes in a more subtle manner.

Amazing. _Dan. :D

For the specially interested, the japanese collection in Royal armouries in Leeds has one of the best collections of Tsuba (and associated hardware ;-) ) in the world. I cannot begin to describe the excellence of their collection, stolen... I mean collected through centuries of collonialism :-D
All joking aside, it's most definitely wort a visit!

Back