Inconsiderate neighbours. Arghhhhhh!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easy for me. Cat in my garden = catapult and a stone going past their ear = 0 to 60 in no time flat. I am a good shot, I make sure the stones are a good shape and fly straight. I have no wish to hurt any more than their feelings and sense of security!

My garden is "OUT OF BOUNDS TO CATS". It is my garden and I lay down the ground rules! We encourage lots of birds into it and it is NOT to feed the local cats.

End of my story!

+2.

But according to a lecture I received from my neighbours Wife on Wednesday. Cats have the right to roam it our gardens whether we like it or not!

Paul Chapman":ufo01tz6 said:
I can't understand what all the fuss is about :?
That's the problem. Pet owners can't comprehend that other people don't want their pets in the garden. All other wild animals are welcome in my garden, but not someones cat. My space my garden. End of. All I ask is that people respect my wishes, like I do theirs. That way, there is never any issue

flanajb":1rv6vvqk said:
+2.

But according to a lecture I received from my neighbours Wife on Wednesday. Cats have the right to roam it our gardens whether we like it or not!
This, of course, is total boll.cks. If a neighbour didn't want our (now four) cats in his garden, I would find a way of stopping them going over the fence.

Some pet owners DO appreciate that not everyone thinks their little darlings can do no wrong.

Perhaps she is forming a 'feline rights' organistion. Sounds looney enough. (hammer)

I just wish that more cat/dog owners thought the same way G!

There are LOADS of places in France that are just dog toilets because the owners will just not clear up after their pets. There are posts here all over the place that have a container with dog dung bags in them and all you have to do is take as many as you wish, use them like a glove, pick up the crottes and put them in the bins specially provided.

Do the French do it?

Not on yer bleedin life.

They look inocently away as if the action isn't taking place and walk away. Be it a childrens playground where dogs are forbidden or a footpath!

Back on track. Other peoples animals, where not invited, are not welcome to use my garden as a toilet and if they are invited the owners usually clear up any mess caused..

flanajb":3lcucbn4 said:
Paul Chapman":3lcucbn4 said:
I can't understand what all the fuss is about :?
That's the problem. Pet owners can't comprehend that other people don't want their pets in the garden. All other wild animals are welcome in my garden, but not someones cat. My space my garden. End of. All I ask is that people respect my wishes, like I do theirs. That way, there is never any issue

Apologies if I sounded unsympathetic towards your obvious dislike of cats but perhaps we see this from two different viewpoints. I grew up in a house which, like many houses in the Greater London area, had a cellar. If a house has a cellar there is always the potential for rats and mice and as a result we always had a cat - probably the most effective rat and mouse catcher :) Even the Prime Minister has re-introduced a cat to 10 Downing Street to deal with the rat and mouse problem.

Consequently I've always been rather fond of cats and we've always had one. I do, however, understand that some people don't share my fondness. It's not really practical to ask cat owners to stop their cats from entering your garden. Cats wander where they will - I'm sure that if I gave my cat a list of gardens in which he was not welcome it wouldn't do much good. However, if you regularly give it a squirt with your hose I'm sure you will soon get the errant cat to mend it's ways - they really don't like water and are quite good at taking a hint.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Jonzjob":4wr2aawf said:
Do the French do it? Not on yer bleedin life.
They look inocently away as if the action isn't taking place and walk away. Be it a childrens playground where dogs are forbidden or a footpath!

I suspect its that the French have a different attitude to bodily functions and natural products than the average Brit.

Whilst I have every sympathy with anyone who objects and as said, would try my best to avoid annoying them, my 'sensitivities' lie more in the French direction whilst maintaining a bit of my heritage by finding dog muck in public spaces disgusting. (usual jokes here, there's a meeting on schizophrenia at the town hall tonight, I've half a mind to go - did you know that two in every one person is schizophrenic?) Its more the mess on my shoes that I object to than anything.

I have no concerns with the health side of things. We have chickens, some outside, some inside the barn. Their products are everywhere and it gets used to grow our food in once its had a bit of time to 'develop'. What do people think that 90% of their food is grown in?

In my opinion, people are way too sensitive about it (including me probably - my wife doesn't seem to notice it but then she's a professional gardner and is used to all this stuff). We use no 'surface cleaners' or special cleaners to kill all known germs along with all the beneficial bits we can't see. A bit of soap and or bleach will do the job where necessary. The French still sell sensible things like concentrated bleach and hydrochloric acid in the supermarkets as they believe its up to us to choose what we do rather than legislate against us being careless.

When we were kids, we played with dirt, had animal products in it for sure. No doubt ate worms and flies too. There weren't a hundred and one different potions to sterilise our environment. Healthy immune systems resulted. I think there is a growing realisation that all this overprotection is a large contributing factor to the rise of allergies and health problems.

Our sensitivities have been fostered by advertising and commercial pressures not reality. Its not 'disgusting' it just 'is'.

I'm not immune to all the pressures but I'm working on it.

gus3049":1609jb90 said:
Perhaps she is forming a 'feline rights' organistion. Sounds looney enough. (hammer)
I think you are onto something there. I have made a number of suggestions about how to keep it out. She then replies "I spoke to the cat protection league" and they say ... is cruel.

Still, I am now looking out my patio doors at my new fence. If you can picture the film 'Escape from New York' you should get an idea of what it looks like :lol:

flanajb":1jmfltuw said:
I am now looking out my patio doors at my new fence. If you can picture the film 'Escape from New York' you should get an idea of what it looks like :lol:

Don't get complacent Flan, they're cunning devils these Moggies; I expect that by now they will have formed a committee and are as we speak digging two tunnels, one for you to 'find' and the other the 'real' tunnel. :D

I think I already mentioned that whilst I was looking after my son's dog, I saw very few of the usual cats in my garden. So maybe cats either don't risk it if they smell dog, or dog chases them out. The average dog doesn't stand a chance in Hades of running down a cat, but of course they still chase them.

I get cats in my garden as a rule, but as I don't have any fine tilth, they tend not to defaecate in my plot. Also, as I don't plant out anymore, I tend not to unearth their buried treasure either. The only problem is the smell of 'Tom' in one corner!

John :)

The 6ft fence does mean that it can be given a good soaking without the neighbour seeing and calling the cat protection league :twisted:

I've got the same problem but unfortunately no fence ( box hedging ) little bu**er goes under it.

but if I did have a fence the top of it would be coated with a mixture of grease and chillies when it licked the grease off it would get shock of it's life, but, I don't think there is a permenant answer to this problem.

Davon

( #-o ) just realised ..there may be some rspca woodworkers lurking ) :oops: :oops: I was only kidding

Davon":4t4v84zb said:
but if I did have a fence the top of it would be coated with a mixture of grease and chillies when it licked the grease off it would get shock of it's life, but, I don't think there is a permenant answer to this problem.

I can't believe the lengths some people will go to, to deal with a cat. No wonder they s h i t in your gardens :lol: You could try being nice to it.......

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Davon,

I am a member of the RSBOHC. (Society for the Banning of Hot Chillies).

I went for a Pizza at Pizza Express and I had some kind of starter. I have been paying for it for two days!
I wonder if your solution would work against a certain breed of teenager?

John :twisted:

I think that I will opt out of this thread as I think all has been said now? You know my stand on it and I am glad to say that we have the very best neighbours we could possibly have :D

2 reasons that I don't hit the cats when I fire my trusty catapult at them.

1. I don't like hurting animals, well, part from the pheasent I shot a couple of years back. Straight in the back of his head! Didn't arf taste nice :mrgreen:

2. I would hate to alienate any of our lovely neighbours..

Tata on t his thread :eek:ccasion5:

Latest posts

Back