Inconsiderate neighbours. Arghhhhhh!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your a 'woody' run one of these up
http://huntercatapults.co.uk/
make ammo from tinfoil scrunched into large tight pellets-the moggy will soon get fed up, after it sees 3 of these flashing past it even the 'snap' of an empty catty will have it vacating your property.
Anyone else still read the Beano ?

xy mosian":18wq861v said:
flanajb, I'm sorry for you, and your family. Sadly, although the details are different, it all sounds very familiar. We are now on 'ignore, they don't exist' terms. Unfortunate really.

xy
I agree totally. It is sad as we all got on very well. I said to the Wife that we do not have to justify ourselves to them as to why we do not want their feline friend in our garden.

Given the conversation. We are no doubt on an 'ignore', they 'don't exist' term.

Looks like I am going to have to shell out and increase our 4ft fence to 6ft.

I doubt six ft is enough. If the cat is coming over your fence attach some out riggers and string fruit cage netting along the top, the cat will not normally walk on such yielding surfaces.

Roy.

flanajb":2w8pb0iz said:
Oh dear. It all came to a head tonight. The neighbour confronted my 9 year old Daughter and told her off for spraying the cat. That was like a red rag to a bull with the Wife and she told them, "keep the cat out of the garden and it won't get wet"

What is really sad is that even after a long conversation, he said he felt sorry for us. He could not even understand that we have every right to say we do not want his cat in our garden.

He even said that us soaking his cat is like him soaking our Daughter. I tried to explain that there was a slight difference there. But to no avail!

Some people just can't seem to grasp how their actions affect other people. Makes my blood boil.

Seems logical to me Fianajb? If your neighbours catch you daughter crapping on their garden then give them total permission to soak her?

Cats tread VERY carefully in our garden because if I see them they get a stone rocketing past their heads from my catapult! We have lots of birds that have been encouraged into our garden and they are NOT there to feed neighbours cats who are TRESPASSING! Did you realise that they can go from 0 to 60+ in a very small fraction of a second! (hammer) (hammer)

I quite like cats, but I don't think that I could eat a whole one!

As for dogs. I was born into a houshold with a dog. Normally labradors and we have a chocolat lab now. She is not encouraged to lick faces and would not if you asked her to do so. A dogs tounge is as clean as its a r s e a vet once told us and it is the same with a cat! Our dog does not walk all over work surfaces as a cat does either. I do not like dogs who try to lick my face!

Going back to the plastic bottles filled with water. We have a 50 meter long drive with a parking area part way up. The drive is covered with fine gravel and a real pain. The neighbours cats used to use the lovely gravel in the parking area as a toilet until a French friend told ne about the bottles. I thought he was kidding but I tried it and it works. It also worked where the cats used to lay in hiding by a bird bath and on a pile of sand behind the house.

When I lived just NW of Manchester I had the only cat I've ever had. A neighbours tom discovered that it could get into our house and it peed all over our dining room and the kitchen worktops a couple of times before I discovered where it lived. I went and knocked on the door to be answered by a real stroppy git. I was quite polite when I told him what had happened and his reply was hard luck what the hell do you think I can do about it! My reply was that when I got home I was going to modify the cat flap so that any cat that got in couldn't get out again and my dog would have it and kill it! I didn;t need to modify the flap and didn't have any more problems! Subtle or what :mrgreen:

Cats are a bleedin pain! I wouldn't knowingly hurt one but they are NOT welcome in my garden. I don't allow my dog to use other peoples property as a toilet or a hunting ground and I don't expect them to do so in mine!

Rant over (for now?)

Jonzjob":3m02dyf2 said:
flanajb":3m02dyf2 said:
Oh dear. It all came to a head tonight. The neighbour confronted my 9 year old Daughter and told her off for spraying the cat. That was like a red rag to a bull with the Wife and she told them, "keep the cat out of the garden and it won't get wet"

What is really sad is that even after a long conversation, he said he felt sorry for us. He could not even understand that we have every right to say we do not want his cat in our garden.

He even said that us soaking his cat is like him soaking our Daughter. I tried to explain that there was a slight difference there. But to no avail!

Some people just can't seem to grasp how their actions affect other people. Makes my blood boil.

Seems logical to me Fianajb? If your neighbours catch you daughter crapping on their garden then give them total permission to soak her?

Cats tread VERY carefully in our garden because if I see them they get a stone rocketing past their heads from my catapult! We have lots of birds that have been encouraged into our garden and they are NOT there to feed neighbours cats who are TRESPASSING! Did you realise that they can go from 0 to 60+ in a very small fraction of a second! (hammer) (hammer)

I quite like cats, but I don't think that I could eat a whole one!

As for dogs. I was born into a houshold with a dog. Normally labradors and we have a chocolat lab now. She is not encouraged to lick faces and would not if you asked her to do so. A dogs tounge is as clean as its a r s e a vet once told us and it is the same with a cat! Our dog does not walk all over work surfaces as a cat does either. I do not like dogs who try to lick my face!

Going back to the plastic bottles filled with water. We have a 50 meter long drive with a parking area part way up. The drive is covered with fine gravel and a real pain. The neighbours cats used to use the lovely gravel in the parking area as a toilet until a French friend told ne about the bottles. I thought he was kidding but I tried it and it works. It also worked where the cats used to lay in hiding by a bird bath and on a pile of sand behind the house.

When I lived just NW of Manchester I had the only cat I've ever had. A neighbours tom discovered that it could get into our house and it peed all over our dining room and the kitchen worktops a couple of times before I discovered where it lived. I went and knocked on the door to be answered by a real stroppy git. I was quite polite when I told him what had happened and his reply was hard luck what the hell do you think I can do about it! My reply was that when I got home I was going to modify the cat flap so that any cat that got in couldn't get out again and my dog would have it and kill it! I didn;t need to modify the flap and didn't have any more problems! Subtle or what :mrgreen:

Cats are a bleedin pain! I wouldn't knowingly hurt one but they are NOT welcome in my garden. I don't allow my dog to use other peoples property as a toilet or a hunting ground and I don't expect them to do so in mine!

Rant over (for now?)
Thanks John. I am glad that it is not just me who thinks that having other peoples pets in your garden is something that you should have to tolerate

A chap near us used to let his dog foul on an area where the youngsters near us played. One day after watching this happen, I put the dog cr*p into a bag & took it to his house. I gave the bag to him, telling him that if it happened again I would post it through his letter box, minus the bag! It never did happen again. :?

Dave

Oh dear,

Here's two more to upset you.

They are eight weeks old, already house trained and BURY their muck like all proper cats should. We said no more cats so naturally we weakened as soon as we saw them :lol:

Rather like rioters, I reckon its all down to early training!!

Attachments

• 100_2588.jpg
    100_2588.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 760
Digit":22hmci48 said:
Yeah, but where do they bury it Gordon?

Roy.

At the moment of course, its a litter tray. We also have two mature cats who use our own garden and bury it there very carefully it seems. That is when we are watching of course. As we live in the middle of farms, its hardly a great problem if they stray.

I have to say that I have never had a neighbour problem with the cats, even when I have lived in the middle of town or out in the sticks in East Anglia.

Might just be down to their human companions.

Just read a previous post.

As said 'wobbly' is the way to stop cats. We have one who is a bit nervous and got lost for three months once. We put a fence round the immediate area outside our back door with a loose section at the top with no support. Even the more outgoing cat who will climb anything won't go over that and has to ask to be let out.

Cats are nice.

I have three, and they slaughter vermin at an astonishing rate, which no doubt benefits the neighbours. That said, I'd have no problem with the neighbours seeing them off their property with hose or water pistol. Cats will get the message and it'll do them no harm.

'God put the cat on earth in order to give Man the pleasure of stroking the tiger'
Fernard Mery, 1887-1983.

heres my somewhat adorable monster, but im not to keen on cat sh it, she tends to use a tray or buries it quite deep in the flower bed

CHLOE
279778_1809812817666_1610340005_1543179_2025880_o.jpg

adidat

Digit":i3xl58sw said:
and they slaughter vermin at an astonishing rate,

And not just vermin, unfortunately.

Roy.

The fact that we keep what used to be wild animals as pets is inevitably going to mean that their basic nature remains. Some dogs kill humans, babies, other dogs etc. Cats do kill birds as well as other small animals - I assume this is what you refer to. How do we train them to know the difference? The numbers however are a matter of argument and I can't believe our 'pets' have as much effect on the bird population than they would 'in the wild' where their breeding would be uncontrolled. But then humans have got in the way of that too.

Animals eat each other. Basic fact of life. We do it too - some of us that is.

We have one cat that never catches anything at all. The other one probably catches two or three birds a week but at least two or three rodents a day. Its only humans that consider birds more important than mice. We make the decision that its somehow acceptable for cats to do our dirty work and keep one population down and then complain that they also catch other creatures.

Man is responsible for far more damage to any animal environment and therefore population than any of our chosen predators. Pesticides, destruction of habitat etc etc.

Double standards? I love animals, a little mouse is a charming creature but it tries to eat the food we provide for our chickens. I choose to have cats around but know what they 'do for a living' I hate it when they do what their basic nature demands but just have to accept it. I find killing anything incredibly difficult but will do it to eat. Thats what they think they are doing. Thats all.

That is what I was referring to Gordon, but don't misunderstand me. Double standards? Absolutely! I got it in the neck elsewhere on that subject as we do have double standards, we say it is wrong to kill Foxes but say nothing about the parakeet cull, musn't kill badgers but slaughter cattle ad lib. Yes, cats are killers, yes that is their nature, but when i extend that to humans the balloon goes up!
I would add though Gordon that your cats can be fitted with warning bells.

Roy.

Digit":3mu32png said:
when i extend that to humans the balloon goes up!
I would add though Gordon that your cats can be fitted with warning bells.

Roy.

No criticism from me, we are the worst of the lot. I can think of quite a few that need warning bells attached. Don't 'spose telling them the reason why and trying to reason with them will have much effect.

I don't like bells on cats. I reckon we have interfered with their basic nature quite enough. Its a price we have to pay for taking them in - well, lets say its a price the prey pay. Here the skies are still full of birds. We get woken with the dawn chorus that we missed so much in London. There are cats everywhere too and they don't seem to be affecting the bird population, just doing their bit to keep a balance as would happen in a natural way anyway. There are other reasons for the precipitous reduction in population in some areas.

When I hear about such things as declawing cats because of someone's precious possessions, I feel like doing murder myself. We don't own the animals, we share our world with them. The only acceptable thing I see that we can do is kill to eat - this is 'natural'.

There are of course plenty of people who will disagree with that too.

I can't understand what all the fuss is about :? We have a cat as do most of our neighbours. They are no trouble at all. Seem to spend most of their time eating or sleeping :) When they go to the toilet they always bury it so it's not a problem.

We also have lots of other animals that visit our garden - foxes, squirrels, the occasional deer, numerous different birds. I love watching them. They all seem to go about their day-to-day activities without any fuss and bother. In fact we get far more problems with the humans......... :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

The only acceptable thing I see that we can do is kill to eat - this is 'natural'.

And we cull half a million deer a year and you are not permitted to sell the carcases of a perfectly edible animal.
Talk animals, control, crop damage etc and logic goes out of the window.
A lady on another forum was promoting 'Don't visit Wales they are gonna murder badgers' and stated that she and her friends were not gong to purchase any food stuffs from Wales.
I told her that would be a good trick and gave her a list of animal products used in food and other products, which included shampoo and beer.
Haven't heard from her since!

Roy.

Paul Chapman":2qnwur0c said:
I can't understand what all the fuss is about :?
Paul

Well, the thread is about the neighbours more than the cats. We all have the right to decide what happens on our own property (er... mostly) and I think it quite reasonable that that view should be accepted rather than given the aggressive treatment that this request seems to have garnered. My first reaction would have been to see if there was a reasonably easy way to keep my cats out but there you go.

Why some people can't see that their point of view is not going to be shared by everyone and at least be prepared to discuss things reasonably, I can never understand. (Unless they disagree with me of course)

I am assuming that the original approach about the problem was in keeping with the 'good neighbours' doctrinaire rather than the archetypal bull in the china shoppe:D

Latest posts

Back