Inconsiderate neighbours. Arghhhhhh!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
My Neighbour was until recently a good friend of mine until him and his partner decided to buy a cat which has taken to spending more time in our garden than theirs. Not only do I not want their pet in my garden, but I take offence to having to clean it's dung up.

We have raised the issue, but just got the shrugged shoulders response and were told "if you see it in your garden, just clap your hands at it and don't spray it with water". What is more frustrating is that half our adjoining fence is trellis and anyone with half a brain would have realised that buying a cat was a dumb idea.

I am just waiting until the time is right and the little moggy is going to get the soaking of it's life and world war III will commence with my old pal.

It must be an age thing, but some people don't seem to give a damn about how their actions affect others.

Sorry, but I just needed to get it off my chest

PS - Any tips on how I can keep it out, without resorting to spending lots of my hard earned cash would be welcome.

I absolutely agree with your dismay. When our neighbour, sorry person who lives next door, moved in she bought six cats. I do not dislike cats, just having to change our gardening habits because they like to use our garden as a toilet. Flower beds which were once a nice tilth are now set like concrete so that they cannot scrat up the soil. Bedding plants have to be planted in the smallest possible hole. Why cannot cat owners provide litter trays for their pets, after all I was required, rightly, to clear up after my dog.

Another thread, about vegetables I think, suggests using plastic water bottles filled with water left lying around to keep them moving. I cannot report on the effectiveness, but it might be worth trying. One well known TV gardener did suggest a Jack Russell once over. Sadly this might be regarded as 'Hunting with Dogs'.

Keep smiling and take the folks next door of your Christmas card list.

xy

We had the same problem with our next door neighbour who bought two cats and you can guess the rest cat rubbish every where and we stopped it buy putting down moth balls in the areas that were being fouled and it stopped O there was one other thing we did try was orange peel that is something that I have been told cats do not like it could be the citrus smell.

Hope this helps

Eric

I would definitely recommend a Jack Russell terrier. If it happens to attack a cat in your garden, that is the fault of the cat owner for allowing it to stray. You must of course make sure that your terrier cannot escape into your neighbours garden!!

xy - I do not agree that having a terrier amounts to hunting with dogs unless you specifically set out to catch rabbits, hares, foxes, badgers etc. with a group of dogs. We are talking here about a domestic pet.

Mike.

2883404715_d562d605e2.jpg

+

19_6_orig.jpg

=

Angel-Cat-Screensaver_1.png

Try the green gardener website, they sell cat repellant that is REALLY effective, our neighbourhood moggies now go round the garden - you can literally see them walking the walls to avoid the garden,,,,

RESULT.....

I once heard about a guy who was so fed up with his neighbours cat leaving calling cards in his garden that eventually his filled a dry brown paper bag with the stuff and then dumped it on his neighbours doorstep. Then he rang the bell and waited until he heard footsteps before setting light to the paper bag. The neighbour opened his front door in his carpet slippers, and on seeing the burning paperbag stamped on it to put out the fire! Funnily enough his cat was kept under control after that.

I'm a cat lover :roll:

Can't stand dogs. Dirty things. bark all the time and drive me insane with the noise. And they try and kill our chickens. The chooks and the cats live in peace which, it seems, is more than some human's manage.

However, I would strongly support the water spray. Cats hate it and it does them no harm whatsoever. I do mean spray by the way not a water cannon :D

Why not do the same as Jim Carey in Me Myself and Irene, when he dropped his trousers on the the neighbours lawn after getting fed up of the neighbours dog doing the same on his :lol:

If I had a dog I would take it around into the neighbours garden and let it do a big dung on their lawn whilst they were sitting in the garden. Could you imagine their faces, when you say "just letting my dog use your garden as a toilet like your cat does in ours"!

I just don't have the bottle to do that.

gus3049":109p0ogy said:
I'm a cat lover :roll:

Can't stand dogs. Dirty things. bark all the time and drive me insane with the noise.

+1

But, you are right, cats can be a pain to neighbours. My neigbours had my full permission to use any any method to keep my cat out of their gardens as long as they did not harm him. But they are decent people and I don't think it would cross their minds.
I provided a litter tray indoors and many areas of sand / loose dirt / gravel etc in my own garden to try to keep him from wandering.

Now he's gone, and my wife has 2 aviarys, I naturally get all the cats in the neighberhood gathering for the matinee, but as we keep the grass mown and the borders covered in slate, we get no problem with pussy cat-poo.

Back