In Cannel, Out Cannel Gouges.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llangatwgnedd

Established Member
Reaction score
What I can see from pictures from the Axminster site, bevel is on the outside on one set and on the inside on the other.

What diffrence does it make with the bevels on diffrent sides?

Sawdust Producer":11222v6s said:
What I can see from pictures from the Axminster site, bevel is on the outside on one set and on the inside on the other.

In-canalled gouges are the scribing variety and can be used for paring an inside curve. My view is that they're essential in any cabinet tool set up, but they are a bit of a 'mare to sharpen and hone. I made a pair from some old firmer gouges (bevel on the outside) - Rob

woodbloke":1hsdeeen said:
Sawdust Producer":1hsdeeen said:

In-canalled gouges are the scribing variety and can be used for paring an inside curve. My view is that they're essential in any cabinet tool set up, but they are a bit of a 'mare to sharpen and hone. I made a pair from some old firmer gouges (bevel on the outside) - Rob

One needs to be careful with this frugal idea. Some older tools are laminated, and the blade is only hard on one face. A normal (outcannel) gouge made in this (particular) way cannot be turned into a scribing (incannel) gouge, since the edge would be made of the soft metal.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back