Anatomy of a gouge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve355

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I‘m not talking about wood turning gouges here, just typical woodworking gouges. I’d like to make a sash gouge to an accurate dimension.

Is the “sweep” of the gouge the same numbering as moulding planes? Eg based on 60deg of a circle in 16ths?

I guess its defined by the outside dimension if it’s out-cannel and the inside dimension if it’s in canne?

If I turned down a an O1 rod to the correct imperial dimension, drilled and reamed it, then cut off a portion with a slitting saw, would that work? Obviously I’d also have to grind an edge and a tang.

Thanks

Steve

I think this will be more difficult than it would seem, and I couldn't guess which way something like this will warp (there is follow-up grinding to do after hardening and tempering).

Just looking at my gouges, I'd drill the hole offset a little bit so that the gouge itself tapers. I didn't break out any older and better gouges, but wouldn't be surprised if the good gouges taper across their width, too.

Back