impact drivers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
I see a few people on here have mentioned they cordless impact drivers. Forgive my ignorance, but I always assumed impact drivers were for mainly use in mechanical or automotive situations, undoing and tightening nuts/bolts,etc.

How are they beneficial over a normal cordless driver/drill when used in a woodworking application?

Thanks

scooby":3bhy978v said:
How are they beneficial over a normal cordless driver/drill when used in a woodworking application?

One reason is that they are shorter in the body (due to not having a large chuck assembly) which makes them handier for getting inside cabinets,for instance.
Also go faster,with much more torque,and the impact action makes them much better at removing tight screws.

Andrew

Hi Scooby

I have one and it makes putting screws so much easier plus quicker.
If you are screwing a frame together and some times the screw pushes the two bit apart, well with an impact driver when it gets to that it will still pull them up.

I was doing some framing on site with a friend and I was putting in 3 to his 1 screw( he had an 18v Ryobi and I had a 12v B&Q impact driver, which I stll have some where)

Go see if you can try one and I dont think you will look back, plus there are some good deals on ebay :)

Add next to no cam-out (at the cost of more bust bits) and almost zero torque reaction.

Thanks for the replies. I've been intereted in getting an impact driver for a while. I've never used one so don't know much about them. So are they a worthwhile addition of you're already got a normal driver/drill?

I've got an 18v Makita BHP451sfe driver/drill and I saw this

http://www.ps-tools.com/catalog/product ... 8c3398ca04

Which I presume (will need to find confirmation) takes the same lithium ion battieres as my drill, so I'm considering buying. Would this model be ok for joinery/carpentry work?

Thanks again

To add to what Jake has said I can still use bit ( warn ones ) that I could not use with my combi ( 18v MXT Makita ).

I also find that it is better with the cheaper bits as they dont break but the harder ones tend too more :? :)

Scooby

I might have some good news for you as I have bben looking at them myself
and was this
I got my 14v impact driver from ebay and it was new in the box, but come with a 110v charger with I can use on site which is not much :D

Plus I got it for about half price

I am sure the battery's will fit but all you need to do is ask a shop :)

Thanks Colin, not too sure if I can afford to buy one yet. spent quite a bit of money on presents recently so might have to wait until after christmas.

Couple more questions, on the makita the speed is 0-2300rpm. Most impact drivers seem to be around that range I think. Thats quite a high speed compared to a driver/drill on low. I s there sufficient travel in the trigger for a slower speed to be used (and prevent zapping straight to 2300 by accident) and avoid shredding the screwhead?

Read in this review http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/ryobiBID1211.htm that the screws can split the timber on regular occurance when using an impact driver and pre drilling is required, is this true? I don't want to be pre drilling anything unless it is 100% necessary

Scooby

I find that the only time I need to pre drill holes is when I would have any way and yes it has an electronic trigger so you dont get all the speed right away. :)

I have just been using mine for putting in some 20mm x 6 with mine.
RIMG0171-1.jpg

Well, I'm sold :D

Thanks Colin, for convincing me to spend more money :D

Probably wait until after christmas, but my impatience to try out a new toy may get the better of me.

scooby":1g59kym3 said:

Probably wait until after christmas, but my impatience to try out a new toy may get the better of me.

Its not a problem Scooby as it did not take much :roll: :wink: but you will not look back when you do get it.

One point to make about them is that you have to keep the pressure on or that is the only time I get cam out :roll:

Have fun and let us know how much you like it :D

Colin C":2bf4a2os said:
scooby":2bf4a2os said:

Its not a problem Scooby as it did not take much :roll: :wink: but you will not look back when you do get it.

One point to make about them is that you have to keep the pressure on or that is the only time I get cam out :roll:

Have fun and let us know how much you like it :D

So much for waiting after christmas :lol: Ordered the makita one this morning...Hopefully should be here tommorow so I'll report on what its like and see if I can find my camera to post some pics.

scooby":32f40shk said:
So much for waiting after christmas :lol: Ordered the makita one this morning...Hopefully should be here tommorow so I'll report on what its like and see if I can find my camera to post some pics.

I am sooo surprised :roll: :D
Enjoy the new to.. ( almost say it ), tool :D

Colin C":14seqm69 said:
scooby":14seqm69 said:

I am sooo surprised :roll: :D
Enjoy the new to.. ( almost say it ), tool :D

Do I detect sarcasm? :D

hehe, driver turned up Friday morning and was put to use straight away.

First off, wheres the rest of it? Its tiny! Used it for a while and then went back to my driver/drill and it was like picking up a brick ( a nice brick though :) ) Took a little bit of getting used to the increased speed, but I've got to admit it rocks. I actually like the 'tapping' noise :?

Ah, I love Makita. when I got my latest drill (bhp451sfe) the box is huge. Inside its symmetrical with a recess for a drill on both sides, so the impact driver fits in with the driver/drill, charger, etc. Probably as I found out yesterday you can buy the 451 and the impact driver in a job lot :?

Anyway I'm impressed. Got a question though (yes, another, sorry) Colin, I see you've got a drill bit in your driver. Are they ok for drilling? Does the impact action cause any damage to the drill bit or produce rough results when using flat bits?

Thanks again

Hi Scooby

There nice and I think ( like me ) you will always have after this :)

I have used mine for drilling small holes up to about 15mm with good results.
You will not get rough results but unless you go for the new impact driver (this one).
It will not drill big holes

Hi Scooby,

if you are like me, DIY / hobbyist. I have deemed that I cannot afford the state of the art Makita Li-ion etc. but I did buy an impact driver.

As is, it is a Ryobi. Fantastic to work with. If I was professional and producing huge amount than the expensive driver is the way to go. In my case I am prepared to buy a cheaper one as itis cost effective. Comparatively I can by 4 of the cheap Ryobis for the same cost.

Needless to say cheap or expensive it is fantastic way to drive in screws.

Cheers.

BrianD":ox2b2t43 said:
Hi Scooby,

if you are like me, DIY / hobbyist. I have deemed that I cannot afford the state of the art Makita Li-ion etc. but I did buy an impact driver.

As is, it is a Ryobi. Fantastic to work with. If I was professional and producing huge amount than the expensive driver is the way to go. In my case I am prepared to buy a cheaper one as itis cost effective. Comparatively I can by 4 of the cheap Ryobis for the same cost.

Needless to say cheap or expensive it is fantastic way to drive in screws.

Cheers.

Hi Brian,

I'm a joiner, so the tools I buy get used a lot on a daily basis. For this reason I had no second thoughts about paying the £280 or so for the 18volt lithium ion driver/drill (bhp451sfe). Buying the Makita impact driver (btd140z) in the form of tool only (no batteries,etc) for £100 as it uses the same lithium batteries seemed to be the best way to get a decent impact driver.

Definately agree about them being very good.

well sold colin c
another fan of impact drivers , hope youre happy with youre purchase scooby
if youve got the batteries you may as well use them
hitachi do a good one
so do dewalt
like you colin i started out with the b+q cheapie and was sold as soon as i used it

Latest posts

Back