I'm scared now! :-(

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody67

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I'm really new to turning and at first all was hunky dory - turned a couple of bowls, pears etc and yesterday when turning a small bowl, I had a couple of "dig-ins" that nearly sent the tool skyward and left a bomb crater in the piece! To say it's rocked my confidence a little is an understatement!
What am I doing wrong?? :cry: :cry:

Mark

Turning wood :lol: .

Sorry Mark, couldn't resist that. Take heart we've all been there, but without actually seeing what you are doing it is almost impossible to say what is going wrong. Probably your technique though would be the first to look at.

Try turning a small bowl and causing a dig in, rather than trying to make something use it as a waste and learn piece. Watch and concentrate on what the tool tip is doing rather than trying to fashion something. Keep the bevel on the wood, and cut small.

Good luck!

woody67":2ugwg67o said:
What am I doing wrong?? :cry: :cry:

Nothing you are learning. :lol:

As Tam says it's difficult to say without seeing which tool you were using and how you presented the tool, but check the following.

1. Is the tool supported on the rest with the point of contact with the wood directly above the support point? in other words did the tool twist/rotate.

2. Have you got the bevel in contact with the wood over its full width and pointing in the direction of cut?

3. Did you let a wing of the tool touch the wood forcing it to rotate?

Hey, we all have catches, part of the sport, but if you are digging in or catching a whole lot, just realizing that you are doing something, wrong, instead of blaming the tools or such is a huge first step to solving your problem.

I just spent the last two days with Eli Avisera and Jean François Escoulen, world class turners, and I now realize that I was doing most everything wrong :roll:

You can learn a lot by watching DVDs, or reading books, standing next to someone who really knows how to turn, well that cannot compare, IMHO.

Find yourself a local turning club, or a mentor, take some classes, but get some time in on the lathe with someone who can show you what you need to know. Practicing the wrong thing a lot will just mean you have to spend time, down the road, unlearning bad habits.

You can learn a fair bit from your catches, with the lathe off, you can so a crime scene investigation of the dig in, or catch, slowly turn the bowl with your hand, (Lathe turned off!, or better yet, unplugged), and see how the tool dug in.

Body position, stance, tool presentation, sharpness of the tool, gouge size style and grind, as well as your mental preparation count for a lot.

With the right training and practice, you WILL improve.

I know, not much help, but I hope you can gleen a bit of something from this post.

TEP - you're forgiven! [-( :wink:

Chas & Stu - One big problem I'm having is my stance/reach, as it's a Perform CCSL without swivelling headstock, I find myself leaning over the bed to follow the rotation of the bowl - with a bowl gouge - please tell me I'm doing it wrong :oops: Must admit my tools aren't top notch either - have to wait to see what Santy brings me! :wink: Also I haven't got a bowl turning rest (yet)

Thanks for your brill advice and encouragement though :D

Mark

Yahoo... I'm not alone :)

Mark, I'm in the exact same situation. Every time I use the lathe I'm double checking every movement.

For me just understanding the 'bevel' rub requirement made a massive difference. Then grinding my tools better.

I picked up the Axminster M950 lathe of ebay and didn't appreciate how useful that swivelling headstock is. I'm over 6' so for me it was crouching over that wasn't doing my back good. Swivelling it around and shining a good light inside has improved things immensely.

Good luck !

Shaun

Bowl rests are fine, and dandy, nice to have, but you do NOT need them to turn a decent bowl.

One of the best beginners Bowl turning video's I've seen is Bill Grumbine's DVD. I think his site is www.wonderfulwood.com

A true gentleman, with a good sense of humor, Bill's video helped me in my quest to make interesting firewood immensely :D

How high is your lathe set? I like mine so the spindle is about the place where you would shake hands with yourself (or someone the same height as you are), but you will have to figure that out for yourself.

Yes a swiveling headstock is nice, but again, it only makes things nicer, it it NOT needed to turn a good bowl.

Good luck!

Thanks Stu - you're right about the height, mines a wee bit low. I'll raise it up on my bench. :D

Mark

Hi Mark

I think Chas covers most of it with his three questions, but you comment on your tools in a later post, so I would add 'Is the tool sharp?'

A blunt tool obviously doesn't cut well. There's a temptation to simply push harder. The tool digs in, and 'bingo' (or perhaps 'bango'), you've created an unexpected design opportunity.

Bob

This will be the best hour you ever spend.
Brian Simmons from Woodsmith takes you from log to finished bowl in under an hour.
He clearly explains tool choice, grinding angles and tool presentation.
You will be turning bowls in no time.

http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2006/1 ... r-an-hour/

Edit: Hmm, the system doesn't like the link
lets try this one, and scroll down the page until you find the right one

http://www.woodworkingonline.com/catego ... st/page/3/

Edit: Oh dear - the site is woodworkingonline.com category podcast page 3

Mark,

Just wanted to join the voices to tell you it's absolutely normal for this to happen to new turners (and old turners and everyone in between!)

technique, tool sharpness, stance, and just plain bloody minded timber can all cause problems.

I invested £45 in a mornings course at a local shop (the Woodworking centre in Sywell) and it has saved me a fortune, not only in wasted blanks but dental work (catching flying bowls in your mouth is not a good idea!)

Good luck mate!

Dave

Thanks everyone - I think I've regained my nerve - I bought my first ever bowl blanks yesterday, so here's hoping............ :D

I'll try to keep you all posted.:shock:

Mark

Latest posts

Back