I'm MAD if use the top of a SIP 01332 table saw as a...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Andy

Why not make a top from MDF to use on your table saw when it is a workbench, just lip it with some small profile timbers and it will stay in place nicely. I've been using this method for a long time, albeit on a very cheap saw, not one like yours.

BTW, I'm thinking of buying the same saw as yours, what is it like? Is it a good buy?

regards

Brian

I'm sure I've read on this forum that others have used similar methods to save space. No doubt they will be along soon to advise us both

regards

Brian

I use the top of my saw for all sorts of things, including using the thicknesser and morticer etc. I don't have much choice in a small shop. I always cover it with a bit of 9mm mdf if I'm using it for anything other than sawing though. Don't want to damage that beautiful cast iron :wink:

It seems we all work in small shops, so why not make use of your saw as another workbench/platform...
Keep it well covered with MDF or ply , i cant see it coming to much harm.
in a case where space is at a premium, i guess it has to be done.....

Andy,

As the rest say, as long as you keep it covered with something like ply or mdf you will have no problem what so ever.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Andy

I have a TS2500Ci with a side extension on it. I've done as many suggest and made a top for it that has an overhanging edge so it sits snugly in place. I’m not especially short of space, but I still opt for the covered table saw for glue ups and marking out because it makes a much larger surface than my bench. It is also sacrificial of course, so pesky glue spills are not so much of an issue.

One small word of warning. I spotted some of the dreaded condensation one time between the table top and the board when I left the top on for a few days. I don’t know why as I’ve never suffered condensation in my workshop. Now I always make a point of removing the top when not in use.

Jon

Latest posts

Back