I'm looking for a pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorden

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just spent 4 days re-organising my little workshop and found a space which I'd really like to fill with a pillar drill. I'd prefer floor standing, and solid construction as it will get used :!:

I tried Ebay, but lost out on two drills,:evil: so I thought I'd ask here on the off chance..

Does anyone have a solidly built floor standing pillar drill for sale :?:

Answers please in the forum, or by PM, or on the back of a £5 note...

Dennis

How much is your budget ?

This Sundays offers in Aldi have a bench-mounted for £29.99

Machine Mart do a range of floor-mounted from £130 to £450

Andrew

Dennis
Why floor mounted, a 1000mm works just as well if you build a stand.
I bought a 3/4 HP engineering version of the pillar drill for £65. It needed lots of TLC and much elbow grease but it has scrubbed up well. It's stand should be completed tomorrow and I hope it will serve me for 10 or more years.
No problem using it as a bobbin sander as well. I will build a table for it as well to increase it's usage.
It's solid and will take lots of abuse
Barry

Thanks for replying :)

The end of the workshop where the drill will live doesn't have a bench, although I could build a support for a bench mounted machine. I want to use it for drilling and as a bobbin sander so I'm worried that if I buy a cheap machine will the bearings collapse under the strain...

I was thinking £50 to £100 for a good machine.

Dennis

I went along to Aldi this morning and had a look at the bench drill and for the money I was impressed. 500w motor driving a 16mm chuck through 9 speeds and a couple of lumps of cast iron for 'body' looks like a good recipe. I bought the drill plus a pack of drill bits and sanding bobbins for £40.

Putting the drill together it became clear that a couple of the flashings had never seen a file, but that is something I can rectify easily. The build quality is overall pretty good, with no play in the quill (well it is new yet...)

I guess this type of drill gives me the opportunity to build a cabinet for it to stand on, along with a few drawers to store bits in - hmm I see a plan coming along :)

Thanks for the advice :D

Dennis

Do you know what the maximum depth of drill is on that Aldi one?
Seems to be 50mm on most of the smaller bench drills, but the Aldi site didn't mention it.

FYI Netto also have one on offer this week, £70 450w 16mm chuck, and 80mm drill depth.

Anyone used this one?

Also, just noticed that Argos are clearing them out at £14.99
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7106488.htm
HTH

Hi J

Full specs for the Aldi one are:

Capacity (max) Metal 16mm, Wood 35mm
Chuck 1.5mm - 16mm
Spindle taper 2
Spindle travel 50mm
Speeds 9
Speed 280 - 2350 rpm
Base plate 315 x 200mm
Column diameter 46mm
Table size 170 x 170mm
Spindle - table clearance 237mm
Spindle - base plate clearance 330mm
Voltage 230v 50Hz
Power consumption 500w S2 - 30 mins
Total height 610mm
Weight 23.5Kg

Dennis

I've just bought one of these about half an hour ago and put it together in ten minutes. Can't complain at £30. I checked out ten Argos shops and all were out of stock, also a third more power in the motor. I just don't expect too much from something so cheap.

Latest posts

Back