If you could have only one woodworking machine/powertool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bandsaw or Router
+1

I'm still a noob but the bandsaw is easily my most used machine:
General cutting; curves; straight lines; ripping; cutting tenons, dovetails etc. It even has a solid table at about the right height for doing all sorts of things!
Main advantage for cutting tasks is the thickness of stock you can cut and the minimum of wastage.

2nd is the router (and table, obviously):
cutting; planing / jointing; planing / thicknessing; shaping; tenons and dovetails etc., rebating, cutting channels, etc.
This is such a useful tool and jigs open up so many possibilities!

But, in the end, it all comes down to what your main activities are!

Bandsaw also. The first "big" powertool I bought (as opposed to hand power tools - drills/sanders and the like), and easily the most used.

I think someone already made this point, but with careful cutting, you can get close to a finished surface. I built my garden table in this way, and only sanded it (after sizing on the b/s) to achieve the finish.

I must be very strange as I hardly ever use my bandsaw!
I couldn't live without my Table saw (and my jointer and thicknesser too :wink: )

Mike

I am just taking up the hobby because I have bought my son a Router for Christmas.. This caused me to resurface the working space in the garage today and I have been eyeing up band saws, as they are so versatile. The videos I have seen certainly back that up.

My problem is wanting a better machine than I really want to pay out for, not knowing how far the hobby will take me - and my son who will get the tools anyway. There is so much out there and I have such little knowledge. It would be good to know what manufacturers to avoid and find something in the £2-300 range that would not loose too much value. Band saw for me too.

Alex

Anyone in my area that has time to chat, please contact me.

If I used hand tools and could only have one machine/power tool it would have to be the router. With a router you can mould, surface, plane, groove, make M&T's, drill holes, cut inlays, cut circles, the list is endless as it is such a versatile tool. would have to be a half inch model though for the power as I could use a 1/4" collar in it.

Another for the bandsaw, but a MUCH bigger one than the little sip one ive got!

morfa":2jpsrtxf said:
If you could have only one woodworking machine/powertool, what would it be?

Bandsaw or spokeshave. The first is the most versatile, but a spokeshave is the most fun and therapeutic.

Just realised that a spokeshave isn't really a machine or powertool!!! Sorry. That said, many years ago, I was sent a report on a powered rotary spokeshave by a Cambridge Product Design undergraduate to evaluate. It may have actually made it into print: I was editing Woodworker then, but can't recall what happened next!!!!

This has bubbled back up again. Keep them coming folks, good to hear what others think.

Back