If you could buy just one chuck...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbear

Established Member
Reaction score
....Which would it be?

I need chuck for my new lathe, and am after something which will do a wide range of items, including larger stuff.
I've been recommended the Oneway Stronghold, which i very much like the idea of, but what other options are there?

Which would you go for/keep if you could only have one?

The Oneway Stronghold. I like the Vicmarc very much, but the OW just pips it for me on size/heft and jaw options. Please note I don't own one, I've just played with Blister's :shock: :lol:

I bought the Oneway Stronghold with the Wivamac.
It might be expensive, but it's good quailty and holds really well.
I's a much better hold than I was getting in my Vicmarc, which is not a bad chuck.
I certainly don't regert buying it.

A search on this forum will find other favourable opinions.

I thought the Supernova was a good chuck but the Vicmarc is a lot lot better,and dod a good range of sizes,though i haven't seen the Oneway so can't comment on that :?

The Oneway seems to be the one at the minute!
Vicmarc looks good, but it seems it gets pipped by most people!

Any other contenders?

I've had an Axminster Precision chuck for the past 19 years and have accumulated 11 sets of jaws for it and it seems to be as good as when I bought it.
So I would recommend that one.

John. B

John. B":3cgwiynp said:
I've had an Axminster Precision chuck for the past 19 years and have accumulated 11 sets of jaws for it and it seems to be as good as when I bought it.
So I would recommend that one.

John. B

I'm so glad I just read that. The lathe I just bough from Blister came with that particular chuck, and I was just about to ask what it was like.

The next question is whether anybody has some spare jaws that will fit this chuck. I could do with the "A" jaws and/or something a little bigger, as the chuck only came with a set of O'Donnel jaws.

Cheers

Aled

Another vote for the Versa chuck here because lots of jaws fit it.

Oakbear I'm not far from you if you want to come over & take a look

I have one ... but only have nova/axminster jaws to use in it so multiple jaw options of limited interest ... but no end-stop to jaw movements meant I thought I had a surely clamped piece ... lathe on-switch resulted in a large bowl-jaw and a 15" salad bowl flying destructively across the workshop thankfully not hurting anything more ...

I like my nova (and patriot subsequently) which have clear stops on fully open and close ... not sold the Versa, but dismissed it to occasional use with the big axmister cole-jaws only

Thanks again for the opinions!

I though i had it pinned down to the Oneway for me, but now i'm confused again! Anyone used the Oneway Stronghold and not rated it?

Back