Idiots guide to hinges and drawer runners.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeety

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to woodworking after really struggling to get my head round working to tolerances between 1-10 thou after an apprenticeship 20 years ago in the Aircraft industry.

Really starting to enjoy it now and after a few smaller projects am planning to make my first piece of furniture, it's only going to be a couple of stands with a drawer and a cupboard underneath made out of MDF.

Can any of you recommend some easy to mark and fit drawer runners (preferably soft close) that you either get a template with or that are easy to make one for?

Would quite like to use soft close kitchen unit type hinges for the doors if you can advise?

Thinking about the potential issues\design dimensions etc. before starting to draw them up so that I can allow for the hinges\runners.

The main construction method will be Dominos, pocket holes and Titebond. Have a T4, T11 & table, plunge saw etc.

Any advice welcome :)

Cheers,

Jon.

I prefer Grass hardware, although many will probably point you in the direction of Blum.

Stick with these brands and you cant go far wrong, there full catalogue is available on line to for you to browse through.

myself I use

blum hinges with blumotion (softclose)
blum tandem runners, you should be able to find installation instructions online (blum.com) pretty simple once you get your head around it

Most draw runner suppliers will give you a detailed drawing of how to make draw boxes to suit their runners, don't really need a jig, same for hinges, Dims of hole ect. Just take you time and be as accurate as you can to match drawings, hinges are adjustable, some runners are two, good ones not cheap but worth it.

Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back