Identifying timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianhabby

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone point me to a website that can help identify a species of timber please? I'm sure I've seen links on here for that but I'm blowed if I can find the relevent posts now,

regards

Brian

brianhabby":3kkfdjez said:
Can anyone point me to a website that can help identify a species of timber please? I'm sure I've seen links on here for that but I'm blowed if I can find the relevent posts now,

regards

Brian

Have you got a pic of what you want to ID Brian? Close up as poss. Might be able to help if its British. If not there's plenty others will.

Pat

It's not actually for me, it's for my son. He has a piece of furniture that he wants to match something to.

Here's a pic:

regards

Brian

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 208
American white ash?
If he`s trying to match it might be close. As is often the case easier to say what it isn`t rather than what it may be.
All the best
rob

I'd already thought it might be ash but I didn't want to say. I'm not very good at identifying wood in the flesh never mind from a photo

regards

Brian

Looks like a CD rack from Argos, melamine faced chipboard with a slight maple look to the print. Has it got grey shelves?

Shane":2w3qf1dt said:
Looks like a CD rack from Argos, melamine faced chipboard with a slight maple look to the print. Has it got grey shelves?

Hi Shane you are correct. It was only cheap, but the colour isn't what it was supposed to be. We have a 10 month old who has found a new game of pull all the cvds/dvds out so I want to make a set of doors. Struggling because, as you pointed out, it isn't natural wood.

If it were me I would make the doors from redwood (from somewhere like TP, not wickes or b+poo) and maybe use something like dulux woodwash to tone out the yellowness a little, obviously do a test peice first.

Shane":1r1au790 said:
If it were me I would make the doors from redwood (from somewhere like TP, not wickes or b+poo) and maybe use something like dulux woodwash to tone out the yellowness a little, obviously do a test peice first.

Sounds like a plan to me

regards

Brian

You will find that the redwood will shift around a bit when they acclimatise to your house, but give it a couple of weeks and they'll settle back down

Latest posts

Back