Identifying specific species of timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidadew

Established Member
Reaction score
I buy trees in the green from local private landowner and make clocks, small drawer sets, nothing structural in the sense that it supports human weight etc.

I have oak, beech, cedar, ash, hornbeam, chestnut, walnut and when the trees come down hopefully cherry and other similar hardwoods. I split and dry it all myself; no problem.

However I would like to identify the species if possible as I've read in various places that you can get 'turkey oak' etc. which isn't that much use - and I want to see what 'not much use' means - can I make clocks and none structural drawers etc. with it?

I don't want to see if it is Oak, ash etc. as I can tell that it is, it is which species of Oak etc. that I'm interested in. I have the timber and some bark but no leaves.

I have tried to follow links in previous posts on here, but they do to pages that no longer exist, and as my question is a little different thought I'd ask a new one.

Have you got any pictures David, they do say a thousand words,, I confess to not knowing the various species myself, but it will help others who might know them :)

Cheers

Dave

Here some photos - do these help, or would another view help? Wood is just sawn, and drying, not planed yet. Don't have any end grain yet.

it has been drying for a few weeks, and apart from around some knotts, it has hardly split at all. The only other two small splits are on some end grain which I didn't seal, so kind of expected that to split.

Some 8mm boards I've cut out haven't split at all, nor have they cracked, they have remained very solid, and they are about dry so I don't expect them to do much now.

Any help in identifying which Oak species this is, or pointing to a site that shows it would be of great help.

Attachments

• IMG_5237-1.JPG
    IMG_5237-1.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5235-1.JPG
    IMG_5235-1.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5233-1.JPG
    IMG_5233-1.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 28
Back