Identifying bandsaw model

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cret

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi - first post here so I thought I'd say hi whilst asking for info at the same time.
Forum looks great and full of useful info. :)

I've recently 'inherited' an old burgess bandsaw that my father owned, and in order to be able to find out info on it and sources of spare parts etc I could do with finding out just what model it is.

Unfortunately it doesn't say on it (at least anywhere I could find....). Now there were some spare blades that I found which state the blade length is 54.5" and I think 1/4" wide.
I fitted one to replace the blunt one on it, but it seemed a bit too slack even when I couldn't adjust it any more (as the tensioner pulls the top wheel too close to the casing), so I don't know if there is a size slightly smaller than this?

The saw itself is fairly small, the main alloy housing is painted blue, and the front plastic cover is pale green. I realise this may not mean a thing but perhaps it will....

Not sure what else to mention that would help identify it but if anyone can help advise me on what model/age etc it may be I'd be really grateful.

The style of it looks a bit old fashioned to me, possibly 60s or 70s.

Many thanks
Jim

There is mention of Burgess models BB20, BK1, BK2 and BK3 on t'Internet, also that Burgess were taken over by Record Power Tools. Can you see anything like the model numbers above? Two or three-wheel saw?

Ray.

Hi Jim

I'm not sure what model you have but Burgess made a few machines that used a 54 1/2" blade and they were:

BB53
BB55
BBS 3
BBS 4
BBS 5

The only other small Burgess that I'm aware of is a Burgess Mini that uses a 42 1/2" blades so I can't see it being that one.
It's possible that the spare blade are a little too long and that's why they won't fit properly.

I'm not sure how to identify which model it is or where to get spares but good luck with the bandsaw and welcome to the forum :D

Ian

I have a Burgess BK1 three wheel bandsaw in my garage, not used much now since I bought something bigger. I guess from your description that it is a BK1 or BK2 (looks like this). Axminster have blades compatible with the BK1/BK2 but list them as 56.5".

Thanks for the replies chaps.

It's a 3 wheel one, but I can't find any numbering on it at all. I'll get a photo of it at some point.

George - it's the same layout as the one in your pic, but looks much older by my estimation.
It works ok though and is certainly handy.

I've just ordered a blade (Starrett?) though for it. I've got a few of these old wood cutting blades and it's no monster but better than nowt, but to be honest what I really need it for is to hopefully cut aluminium bars to use on my mill & lathe. New blade will be 14 teeth per inch so I hope that's about right.

The 54 1/2" machines are older than the BK1, 2 & 3 machines which all use a 56 1/2" blade.

14tpi should be ok for aluminium but it really depends on the thickness of the aluminium - if you find that the blade clogs up easily try a 10tpi blade and I would use a slow cutting speed and some cutting wax or paraffin as a cutting fluid as well.

Ian

Thanks Ian

The blades I have at present are I think all either 9 or 10 teeth so maybe they would work, but I'll try the one I've ordered for it.

Obviously I'll be using the saw for any wood cutting that's required too (I'm no craftsman but I do get pleasure from making little bits & pieces from hardwood).

Unfortunately there is no speed control on the saw, but maybe that could be an upgrade project. It doesn't seem to run hugely fast but I've nothing to compare it to so that does not mean anything really.

Thickest stuff I would want to cut would be 3" roundstock - no idea if this old beastie is up for a job like that, but I need something that can cope with it!

I managed to take some extra slack out of the new blade by machining a crude extra tensioner that fits through the casing. It's a bit rough, but it works.

Burgess used to make a two-speed conversion kit for their early (brownish grey) three wheel bandsaws. Somewhere, I've got an article from one of the mags from the 1970s on how to fit this kit. Sounds as if you may have the metalworking skills to make up such a conversion for yourself, so PM me if you want me to look out the article.

Back