Ideas would be appreciated.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maurice D

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a large bag of African/Cuban mahogany spindle lengths sized
1 & 1/2" square by 18". I have made the usual garden implements etc and have been trying to think what I can turn from them.
I don't want to cut them up for pen blanks and I don't have the facility to plane them to glue them up into blocks.
I would look forward to all suggestions (that are physically possible!!)

Loads of different things. Crochet hooks, lace bobbins, niddy noddys, drop spindles, small candle sticks, if they are square put four together and have a go at involuted turning, use them in conjunction with other woods for more arty pieces, others will probably come to mind for other people as well.

Hope this helps

pete

The Shark":1h9bgcig said:
Hi Pete,

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a Niddy Noddy?

Malc :D

One of these. The two bars are at right angles to each other and it is used for winding wool by spinners.
MiniNid_Mahog.jpg

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thank you!

I try and learn something new every day, and that has sorted me out for today, as I had never heard of or seen one of those before.

Malc :D

Maurice D":3asegngb said:
Hi Pete, thanks for the suggestions but like Malc I had never heard of a Niddy Noddy, but I also have never heard of drop spindles or involuted turning.

Maurice

Here you go.
Involuted turning

Drop spindles

Drop spindles come in a variety of different styles, I make 4 so worth a quick bit of research if you decide to do them.

Pete

Maurice D":jt8n2mok said:
Pete I have ben looking at your website for inspiration and you have given me many ideas, but what I would like to know is where you source your metal crochet ends?

Maurice

I buy them in bulk online and cut the end off just below the flat part. Unless you use a really hard strong wood such as lignum anything under 4mm is too weal as by the time you have cut the hook in the end it is half the width. Try making a 1mm hook :lol:

Pete

Maurice D":37o98ool said:
I have a large bag of African/Cuban mahogany spindle lengths sized
1 & 1/2" square by 18". I have made the usual garden implements etc and have been trying to think what I can turn from them.
I don't want to cut them up for pen blanks and I don't have the facility to plane them to glue them up into blocks.
I would look forward to all suggestions (that are physically possible!!)

May be segmented woodturning?

Back