Ideas for using up various small bits of wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Holtom

Reaction score
OK this is to get everyones thinking caps on, looking for good/unusual ideas to use up a selection of offcuts I have. Most of the wood is either ash, oak or sapele and nothing bigger than 1x3 inch boards or up to 2inch square.

Thinking along the lines of xmas presents for friends and family etc.

You could laminate and trim them, then compound cut your own Christmas decorations.

Gill

your own domino set?

Laminate into ornate coasters

Small toys for children

A set of dice

Candle (tea-light) holders

Key fobs

Carve them into small objects to wear with a necklace/chain

mini voodoo dolls of your enemies

cap with brass and make bottle openers

If you have access to a lathe - cigarette holders

Small carved pill boxes

door wedges

using pyography you could create small xmas cards

cut a slot to accept a photograph - instant photo display

hope that sparks something for you.

MooreToolsPlease":1ul6n707 said:
Ask Devonwoody, he is your man for using up offcuts :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the plug!

My off cut box is a very good source of stock these days, I am finding that I should never throw anything away no matter how small, problem is I reckon I have now got 5 boxes of the stuff and if things get greater I shall have a box of each species. Next problem would be I can count over 16 varieties of hardwood laying around in large lumps.

My own personal favorites are some recent coasters plus a couple of boxes.

Ok i know i,m just a newbie but thought i,d try and help

I had loads of small bits and the misses came up with an idea for a waste bin ............. :shock:

Did;nt think much of it at first then after a couple of days cut the scrap into roughly same size strips enough for four sides plus the base

I used a tesco,s bag as an idea for size and after a bit of gluing and sanding looks not to bad at all for waste wood
I did use a water proof stain on it more for cleaning than anything else all it cost me was the stain and length of half round bead for the top
And she was happy i used her idea win win

Marty

gatesmr2":13mf6sjp said:
Ok i know i,m just a newbie but thought i,d try and help

I had loads of small bits and the misses came up with an idea for a waste bin ............. :shock:

Did;nt think much of it at first then after a couple of days cut the scrap into roughly same size strips enough for four sides plus the base

I used a tesco,s bag as an idea for size and after a bit of gluing and sanding looks not to bad at all for waste wood
I did use a water proof stain on it more for cleaning than anything else all it cost me was the stain and length of half round bead for the top
And she was happy i used her idea win win

Marty

Sounds cool, any chance of posting a picture up ?

Paul, how about a chessboard like this

wood001.jpg

Just an idea

I recall my father making few toy/trick pieces for kids. One consisted of two square sections joined end to end. When mated there was a dovetail on all four faces.

CWatters":2pb0tsbm said:
I recall my father making few toy/trick pieces for kids. One consisted of two square sections joined end to end. When mated there was a dovetail on all four faces.

one of these perhaps?

00-116-whimsey-by-Olson.JPG

Cheers Mike

Would be happy to post pic lukey

Only prob is i have not got a bxxxxy clue how to :oops:

If some kind soul would advise me i,ll put one on

Marty

gatesmr2":20gvyh22 said:
Would be happy to post pic lukey

Only prob is i have not got a bxxxxy clue how to :oops:

If some kind soul would advise me i,ll put one on

Marty

Marty - I found out how yesterday by following slimjims tutorial on how to
upload photos into flickr ... https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... 890#216890

The only point to note is that when you insert photos using the img tag you need to have the 'Disable BBCode in this post' not selected - you can do this in your profile settings.

I needed to know because I wanted to post a pic of my BAS316 bandsaw I have for sale

Latest posts

Back