Ideal picture posting size?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cegidfa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

With respect to posting workshop construction pictures, what would be the optimum size be between downloading to view, and ability to 'have a good gander?
Having viewed dibs-h build, I would guess 800x600 but would 640x480 be better?
My personal pref. when viewing is 'if you are going to have one, have a big'un'
as I will soon decide whether they are of real interest. But we all have different ways of working, and I am happy to conform with the majority or follow the rules for posting.

Many thanks.....Dick.

Cegidfa":3576iycg said:
Hi folks,

With respect to posting workshop construction pictures, what would be the optimum size be between downloading to view, and ability to 'have a good gander?
Having viewed dibs-h build, I would guess 800x600 but would 640x480 be better?
My personal pref. when viewing is 'if you are going to have one, have a big'un'
as I will soon decide whether they are of real interest. But we all have different ways of working, and I am happy to conform with the majority or follow the rules for posting.

Many thanks.....Dick.

Never hand anyone moan to be honest - I've always resized mine down to 800x600, that way almost everyone doesn't have to scroll sideways to get the rest of it.

Used http://sourceforge.net/projects/phototoysclone/ to do the resizing - spanking and dead easy to use.

I've never come across any rules (but then I suppose I never really looked :oops:) saying 800x600 shouldn't be used. I'm confident if it wasn't the appropriate size someone would have had a quiet word by now! :lol:

HIH

Dibs

Personally, I think the very large images that occasionally find their way onto the forum are a tiny bit annoying because they cause the text to disappear off the side of the screen. Having said that if the subject warrants it I'm more than happy to put up with scrolling sideways to get the benefit.

I normally post images at 640 on the longest edge but I'd probably use 800 if that was one of the presets in Picasa - how lazy of me.

One thing to consider when posting very big images though is the people downloading them. I doubt they're many people on dial up any more but a lot of people have seriously low monthly download limits. A dozen 2MB images when 70KB images would have done the same job might annoy some people.

I use 640 along the longest edge for the same reason that PICASA creates that. I take the images in Hi Res and then create a new directory "small" of the ones I need to post.

If I think the audience would want to see a larger version, I post that as well and link to it by clicking on the image.

Jim

Back