Ideal height for saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammie*dodger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've just finished trying some of the names that i've seen done on here and my back is flamin' sore. What sort of height do people have their saws at. Is it chest height? Of course I didn't notice till I stopped but i'm sitting here very carefully typing at the moment :cry:

jammie*dodger":10dtt10m said:
Hi, I've just finished trying some of the names that i've seen done on here and my back is flamin' sore. What sort of height do people have their saws at. Is it chest height? Of course I didn't notice till I stopped but i'm sitting here very carefully typing at the moment :cry:

I use mine sitting down , and have the bench its on at normal desktop height so that including the height of the saw the work is at breast bone height - this enables me to see what i'm doing without bending my back.

i also use mine sitting down, i like the saw just beneath me so i can see over the work i am doing. I think you will find backache is usually brought on by being tense and stiff, try to relax and let it flow a bit, but dont fall off the chair.. :lol: :lol:

Same as moose, about chest height. I sit on a draughtsman's chair and have the saw on a dedicated stand. I would find it hard to maintain concentration standing throughout.

I think I need to raise the saw about 8 inches then. The draughtsmans chair is a good idea - I trained as a draughtsman a long time ago and always found the chairs to be good for that sort of height.

Cheers, Rob.

Stand at mine. I read somewhere that the table, (the scrollsaw one), is best at elbow height. That's what mine is and I find it OK.
Bob H.

I stand at my scroll saw with the tool cutting table at about elbow height.
I like to look over the cutting action and I also have a 7" 'Daylight' brand magnifying lamp I use when I need to.
I am not cutting portraits so I don't spend hours at the saw without a break.
Jeff 8)

Hi all i like to sit when useing the saw the table is at elbow height
works great for me :D

regards Geoff :)

Back