ID of veneer needed to restore this box please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doris

Oppressed Slave of Gary The Cat
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_20220916_154553631.jpgIMG_20220916_145051796.jpgIMG_20220916_145059109.jpg

So I was given this lovely box by a fellow potter yesterday and after giving it a good clean and a bit of a sand to get rid of all the paint splatters on it I was left with this.
Unfortunately the veneer is missing on both sides and was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what the veneer maybe so I can get two new pieces for the sides. The lid is solid but am not 100% sure what it's made from either. My gut says mahogany but maybe wrong....

Thank you :)

looks like mahogany with a dark shellac coloured finish to me. Look at getting some lightish veneer and using Colron dyes to get a colour match on samples before actually gluing up

Looks like it to me aswell.
How did the panel come out, did the joints come loose to allow it?
(I see it now, the same as one would for a glass panel)

Some looking on the local ad's, especially the free ones,would likely find something in similar or worse state and yield enough of a veneer to do it.
Likely the case for something awkward like a press or wardrobe.

Last edited:
Thank you. I guess I will start looking for veneers now. Any recommendations for good places to buy from?

capital crispin in london or the veneer hub

If you have difficulty @Doris , then think about putting a contrast piece in instead such as pippy oak or rippled sycamore.

capital crispin in london or the veneer hub

If you have difficulty @Doris , then think about putting a contrast piece in instead such as pippy oak or rippled sycamore.

I was actaully think of a metal sheet of brass or something like that if all else fails originally. But will definitely look into those too.

It looks like you don't need much to make it good. I would try eBay as veneer offcuts get sold off quite cheaply.

www.craftveneers.co.uk are also a useful source. They are run by a professional restorer who is very helpful if you message him.

I agree it looks like mahogany. If you do source the veneer you could just glue up a plywood panel with two pieces of veneer to replace the top.

Back