I never knew...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fecn

Established Member
Reaction score
I decided to spend my lunch hour today making a bigger version of one of the elephants I used on my Toybox project - I spent this evening finishing it off. I printed out a 13cm wide version and used pritt stick to stick it in place.
11092007055.jpg

I wanted to make sure the tail was well supported, so I deceided to leave a part of it in place. I drilled a small hole and did my first every piercing cut.
11092007056.jpg

11092007059.jpg

I got rid of most of the saw marks using a drum sander...
11092007060.jpg

Mr. Elephant went for a walk on the belt sander to ensure his feet were flat and that he could stand up properly (sorry for the poor pic quailty - I've been using my mobile)
11092007061.jpg

Although the cutting-out operation had gone well, the elephant was looking rather plain and dull... I decided he needed some eyes and ears so I found a picture of an elepant on the net, printed it out at the right size, and glued it on the back and front - I then used my dremmel with a 1/16th cutting bit to trace out the positions for the ears, eyes and tusks.
11092007062.jpg

Next, I used a larger flat-bottomed spiral cutting bit in the dremmel to bulk remove some of the wood around the back of the ears, the trunk and the tail. Around the tusks, I made multiple cuts at different heights to make sanding easier later on.
11092007064.jpg

I carried on working the shape using the little coarse drum in the dremmel. I also cut away some of the material around the tail-support so itss no longer obvious.
11092007065.jpg

Next I worked my way through hand sanding from 100 grit up to 320 - I should have spent a bit more time doing that, but I wasn't feeling too patient. And in a fit of further impatience, I decided that I'd just use two layers of wax rather than waiting for an oil finish to dry.
P9110096.JPG

I have to say, I'm rather pleased with the result - For an unplanned project, completed in a few hours... and my first attempt at sculpting/carving... I never knew I had it in me.

hi there
i think this is fantastic, it just shows what you can do with a little imagination and time, what wood is it please.
well done.

Thanks Steve. It's Ipé which is a brazillian hardwood - I built my chevron-pattern gate from it, so I've got lots of little triangular bits left over. It's an incredibly dense and heavy wood, but I think it's fantastic.

For a novice, that's surprisingly accomplished :) . Well done!

How are your feet? A little unsteady? Don't worry unduly if they start to lose their grip and you find yourself sliding down a rather fun slope!

Gill

Nice one Fecn :D :D
that looks far better than my pyrographed attempt at ears
Did you round over the edges with the sander , or did you use a router?
looks good i'm impressed =D>
---------------Frank

Thanks Frank :)

I used the dremmel in it's stand with a 1/8th" flat-bottomed spiral cutting bit to drop the edges down by about 2mm... and then I sanded it round using a little sanding cylinder in the flexible shaft. I think the way I'm using the dremmel, it could be called a Pin Router.

The bit I was using looks like the one on the left in this shot.. It came with the dremmel.
TCBSET_xl.jpg

Back