I need some Wych Elm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviem

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a customer who wants a coffee table 24inchs by 62 inches. Live edge on two sides - no joins!
Does anybody know of any wood yards who might be able to sell me a slab of wych Elm?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Steve

Steve

You might want to try Andy Fellows at Primetimber in Hants (http://www.primetimber.co.uk). I bought a beautiful log of air dried burr elm from him earlier this year. He had another elm log in stick that I looked at which might have the width that you are looking for, although it may be a few inches shy of the 24" you're after. He might be willing to sell you a single board, or may have something else that's suitable in his cache. Give him a ring - he's a good hand!

Cheers
John

phil.p":1mpci2n2 said:
A wide piece of flat elm?...........hmmmm

With the exception of Ercol stuff (and that is treated in all sorts of ways, as far as I can gather), I've never seen elm wider than 6" -7" stay anything like flat - it has always cupped, wound, or both. If I made a piece of furniture from a piece 24" wide, I would expect to have it brought back, and get a load of complaints.

For the size you want, and the stability of such a large board, my perception is you would need a quarter sawn board. Consequently, it must be a humongous trunk to obtain this.

I bought a complete small elm tree from a local sawmill to board out my conservatory (15 years ago), the maximum width the mill recommended was 6 inches boards, which are laid down and I had no movement.

However, I have an old Ercol sideboard and the top board is approximately 2 foot, so there may be some out there. You know it may be a cheaper option to pick up an old piece of Ercol furniture and use the top board – well just a thought!!!!

Rgs

Aden

Thanks folks for the info - I have used Burr Elm in the past without issue but I guess the boards I used were much smaller.

Anybody any recommendations on wood type - the customer wants the richness of the Elm (without the burr as it happens)
Some character but not too rustic - Blimey some customers want it all!! :wink:

Back