I need some help with a lump

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPSlick

Established Member
Reaction score
burl2.jpg
I got this from gumtree as part of a lot of spalted conker blanks. As a beginner turner I have no idea what to do with it. My thoughts were to either sell it but have no idea of value or species, or cut it up into spindle blanks to use myself. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• burl1.jpg
    burl1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,092
  • burl2.jpg
    burl2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,093
You could send it to Doncaster, 50p + postage :twisted: :wink:

More experienced turners will soon give you plenty of good suggestions.

My initial thoughts, and they may not be for you as a beginner, would be to cut it about 4 - 6 in above the closed end and use a donut chuck https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q= ... pindapple+images to hold it while the inside was turned to form a bowl with a rough outside and a smooth inside. Probably wire brush the outside to clean it up and add a texture to contrast with the smooth inside.

Cut the remainder into pen blanks, bottle stoppers, even wooden jewellery if the grain looks anything like attractive.

Personally I would run the cut side over a planer and make it flat. Then I'd mount that side on the headstock and turn the usual chuck dovetail in the round (bottom) end. Then I'd reverse it and smooth out the natural void into a bowl. You'd have a nice natural look on the outside but an attractive, off centre bowl on the inside.

i think that i would put it in the corner of the workshop for a few months and wait until you are more experienced with turning. It would be a shame to waste it.

midnightlunchbox":1shgaxfn said:
Personally I would run the cut side over a planer and make it flat. Then I'd mount that side on the headstock and turn the usual chuck dovetail in the round (bottom) end. Then I'd reverse it and smooth out the natural void into a bowl. You'd have a nice natural look on the outside but an attractive, off centre bowl on the inside.

+1 from me. It would be a shame to lose the natural features of the lump.

midnightlunchbox":2rcwgovj said:

Not sure I like the idea of what will be a large off-centre piece with a side leg hanging on a dovetail. I'd want something that had a more positive grip. It looks about 12" dia to me.

I'd use the planer on the closed end to get a base.

Brian

I have a pretty good idea what to do with it but in the interests of safety I would go along with the advice of putting it to one side until you have a bit more experience. Looking at the cup behind it it would appear to be a fairly heavy off centre lump and as such potentially dangerous if you don't have the experience. There are a number of ways of mounting a piece like this, all of which have the potential for an accident if not done properly and safely. Hide it and come back when you have been turning a bit longer is my advice.

pete

Yeah I'm thinking it's way too much for me now and in the forseeable future so I may try to sell it.
Any ideas what I should ask for it?

midnightlunchbox":1kfswilw said:
Personally I would run the cut side over a planer and make it flat.

Personally I wouldn't do that, there's nothing like running end grain over a planer to cause an unhealthy and dangerous reaction.

Andy

SPSlick":132yruca said:
Yeah I'm thinking it's way too much for me now and in the forseeable future so I may try to sell it.
Any ideas what I should ask for it?

Why not keep it for now. It is likely to be one of those things that you won't get much for it you sell it and it would cost you a fair bit if you wanted one. When you have mastered the basics, book a days hands on training and take it with you to use as the object of the training. You would likely get to use it on a bigger lathe than you have and would have the benefit of the tutors experience to advise.

If you get rid of it I guarantee in a few months years however long it takes you you will regret it. Bog standard wood is easy to get hold of, that is a piece that could be used for a variety of different forms and you should put it to one side and hang on to it. Every wood turner worth his salt has somewhere for those lumps of wood that they can't use or can't see a use for but one day.... Keep it, as said you will get peanuts for it probably and regret it later.

pete

Bodrighy":30uzjyck said:
as said you will get peanuts for it probably and regret it later.
+1
Good advice. Getting wood 'into stock' and drying out for the future is really important when you're starting out.

Back