I need an invisible connector

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymien

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I‘m building a run of 3x cabinets that run from floor to almost ceiling. The design of the unit means each cabinet has a decorative ‘cover strip’. I need to find a way to fit this strip on site, after it’s been constructed and painted. The Lamello Zeta with a clamex fitting would be the perfect answer, however I don’t own or have access to a Lamello and their cost means owning one is some way down the line.

What other options are there please? I’ve found Hafele ixConnect during a Google search which may work? Or I considered just fitting dowels (I have a decent dowelling jig) and using the friction fit of the dowel itself to hold the strip in place whilst the glue sets and then a small caulk/paint along the joint if needed.

I’ve attached a couple of pictures to show what it is I need to fit. Advice appreciated.

IMG_0189.jpeg
IMG_0188.jpeg

As you can see I have the vertical strips and the horizontal ones which will go over the top.

I've used ButtonFix connectors in similar situations but I see you have horizontal trim also planted on top. Was the intention to make the fixings removeable if required or for a permanent fix?

Hey, just use a biscuit cutter. i have the Lamello Zeta, but i dont always use the fittings for the face, you can simply use the standard biscuits that hold really well.

run a groove with a router or the biscuit cutter itself down the length of the units side ( best done in production on the bench) then you can just put the biscuts cuts in the knock on strip wherever you like, saves alot of time marking out matching holes.

Here is a video of Derek Barrett Design on Youtube doing just that, thats where i got the inspiration from to stop using the expensive zeta fittings!

Thank you for the replies so far.
It doesn’t need to be removable, it’ll be permanently fixed. I can’t fit the strips in the workshop as the three units needs to be transported separately as together they’re 4m wide. So my plan was to build and paint the cabinets, and the strips. Once the cabinets are installed, attached to the wall with space plugs and levelled etc, then I can fit the ‘fronts’.

I’ve used button fix type 2 quite a lot fitting radiator covers, just wasn’t sure which method would work in this scenario. I guess putting the button on the cabinet and the type 2 fixing on the strip?

Chris - I’ve actually seen that method now you mention it. Didn’t think of it though, so thanks. I have a biscuit cutter, but it’s an Erbauer and I always find my biscuits to be a little loose. Never tight. I always assumed it was because of the cheaper end tool. Perhaps the blade has a wobble?

Some of the high grade acrylic latex caulks are adhesives, too. In the United States, Dynaflex 230 will stick to the wood strongly enough that, if you need to remove it, you'll likely pull chunks of wood off. That name doesn't appear to have made it across the pond, but, if you talk to a good paint store or hardware merchant, you might be able to find an adhesive caulk that will have high stick (trim won't move once you apply it) and high adhesion.

Some of the high grade acrylic latex caulks are adhesives, too. In the United States, Dynaflex 230 will stick to the wood strongly enough that, if you need to remove it, you'll likely pull chunks of wood off. That name doesn't appear to have made it across the pond, but, if you talk to a good paint store or hardware merchant, you might be able to find an adhesive caulk that will have high stick (trim won't move once you apply it) and high adhesion.
Silkaflex ebt etc...

Back