I need a new combi drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsb

Established Member
Reaction score
The motor on my Makita cordless drill has just seized up, so have decided on getting a new drill instead of getting it fixed. The batteries are Ni-MH ones and they aren't holding their charge as they use to so have decided to go for Li-ion batteries.
I have a choice of 3 which I'm considering, which come in sets, with a impact driver included. They are all 18v.
The makes are Makita, Milwaukee and Metabo. Obviously I've had a Makita before but have never used anything of the other two. My local tool shop stocks all 3, but I knew before I walked through the door, which one the sales staff would be recommending. They always push the metabo range.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the 3 makes of drill I'm looking at

I bought a drill and impact driver combo about six months ago and went for the M18 Milwaukee set, I played with them all in the shop and the Milwaukee felt by far the most solid and in use has taken everything I've thrown at it with contemptuous ease - mind you, I should ruddy think so for the price!

I'm sure Makita and Metabo are superb as well, but I have no experience of having used them so I can't comment.

Ive had the Makita's for about 4 years now , used nearly everyday for TRADE use and they are still going strong they cannot be beaten. I have 2 drills and an impact driver there are a few different types though so watch what you buy . If you look carefully you will see they do a cheaper drill which is mainly plastic and a more expensive one which has a metal front section (gearbox). I have both I got the cheaper one as a set with one battery as my original charger packed up and it was better to buy another drill set than just buy the charger on its own.

I think Screwfix also have an 18v Bosch drill on special offer. That Makita offer mentioned by Pete only comes with the one battery. If you were prepared to spend a bit more, I know that Makita also do a three-speed combi. drill - though, I'm not sure how beneficial that extra speed setting really is...?

Looking around, there are also offers going on for Bosch and Metabo 18v kits (impact driver and combi. drill) and I'm sure I recall seeing a video recently that showcased some of the features of the new Metabo drills, maybe the Bosch drill as well... It was probably on Toolstop's blog.

Back