I LOVE YEW

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roggatismus

Established Member
Reaction score
Just been turning my goblet and this has led to my realization that YEW IS GOD

its so nice to turn and finished so well. not just smooth but has a silky soft touch with is divine

Say aye if you agree

Share any yew experiences

its nice but its not my fave- prone to very fine splits whilist drying- heat checks on end grain very easily.
but it can have some amazing figure especially burr

I'm not so sure, sometimes I think it looks awesome, sometimes I can't bare the contrast between sap and heart.

Not turned any yet but have a large log out the front waiting for vase treatment ;)

Yew's a really nice wood except for it's tendancy of tiny splits and cracks around the knotty bits (which is of course where the best figure is) - and I've never had a bit of yew without knotty bits - so I've never turned a bit that didn't need at least some superglue during the process. Aside from that it's lovely to turn and takes a super-smooth finish. I always think the shavings look like grated cheddar & double gloucester cheese :lol:

tekno.mage

I have turned a couple of pens in yew, very nice to turn, very nice finish, but for a good finish just from the wood try some african black wood. It shines when buffed with a grey webrax very nice.

i do find that the knots tend to make the tools jump, and then leave chunks missing. what is the remedy for this?

roggatismus":1zg9ozg7 said:
i do find that the knots tend to make the tools jump, and then leave chunks missing. what is the remedy for this?
Very sharp tools used to take very fine cuts.
I know its easy to say but much harder to do. :roll:

Try also.. to ensure your toolrest is as close as you can get it to the workpiece, the less of a given tool ( lengthwise ) thats hanging over the rest, the less vibrations you should get ( in theory ! :wink: ).

I'm an absolute master at 'howkin great divots out of my work' ...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

well with my yew goblet i cant get my toolrest close enough to the edge to get a fine cut. im just going to sand it to peru and back at the crack o dawn tomorrow. happy way to spend easter morn i say

roggatismus":3g6pvpki said:

Technique and tool control... best sorted 121 hands on...

Yew cuts like butter... sensitivity to the toxic dust can build over time so wear adequate protection for your lungs!!

Beautiful wood ...tops my list ...aye :lol:

Latest posts

Back