I lost an arm and a leg to a table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CoreDefence":1now5x00 said:
What a very interesting and will informed debate! I bought my 01332 3 yrs ago secondhand and am now looking to add the sliding carriage but at the same time I've been looking at new sliding carriage saws. The unexplained price gap definitely does exist and reading this thread this Sunday morning has done little to explain the reason, except for profit.
Personally, I'm ok with profit so I'll end up paying.
Thanks to all who contributed to this very good read.

I bought my Sip new a good few years ago and couldn't quite stretch to the sliding table, would like one but just can't see where they get the cost from so unless I can find one secondhand I won't be buying.

I'm sure there's a way of making one up myself, just have to do the research and put on the thinking cap!

I believe that shop size is also a reason why there is a bigger market in the US.
It's hard to fit a decent TS in a shed. In a two car garage, that's a different story.

dzj":1by9la6x said:
I believe that shop size is also a reason why there is a bigger market in the US.
It's hard to fit a decent TS in a shed. In a two car garage, that's a different story.

If Marius Hornberger can fit a Hammer K3 Basic into his tiny workshop and Alex Harris can fit an Axy into his garage, I think the reason we don't have a market is a lack of competitive prices! As someone else noted in this thread (or was it elsewhere on the board), companies are selling the same table saws they were back in 2005 for nearly twice the price today - certainly at least 50% more - it makes zero sense other than profiteering in a limited competition marketplace.

What we need is competition but we're not going to get it unless someone steps up.

Cheers

Leigh

dzj":3bj1krgn said:

I've seen plenty of home workshops in the US and I don't think their space issues are any easier there compared to the UK. You have to remember that in large parts of the US the climate is much tougher than here, with really brutal winters and sweltering summers. Consequently much of that garage space get's filled with...cars!

That's such a waste IMO. It's bad for the car to be inside in winter, it's bad for the garage. Moisture and rust galore! I live in a spot with comparable climates to those places and let me tell you what a car needs isn't being indoor. An outdoor spot with a roof to prevent frost on the windows is perfect, then an engine block heater on a timer so it starts 1-2 hours before you goto work. It's like starting a car in summertime.

And your garage is free to be what it was built for, a workshop :)

Latest posts

Back