I know this shoukd be easy...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilljc

Established Member
Reaction score
want to make a simple tealight holder, rectangle shape with 'curved in' sides. I am sure I should be able to do this easily, but can't figure out how, have tried on inkscape, serif and word 2010, and failed, #-o would be very grateful if anyone can explain how to do this?

Gill

Not a computer man myself, but coul you not just cut the wwod to the size you want, drill your hole or cut it with th scroll saw (to do it this way, o would cut 1/4 inch of the bottom to be glued back on after the hole has been cut) then just sand the sides and corners??

I don't know what tools you have but it is possible to do the whole thing on the scroll saw. The only problem I see is the curved sides, especially on the long side. It would be no problem for me to make you a pattern but it sounds a very simple design and could be done by marking the lines on the wood and if you plan on making more, make a template from a piece of ply or MDF. You will need a forester bit for the hole and ideally make it big enough to house a glass tea light holder. You will also need a powerful drill press as the bit exerts considerable force. It may be an idea to make the candle holder from several pieces of contrasting woods and it would have a lot more appeal. There are so many combinations you can use for candle holders.

Gill, unless I misunderstood, can't you creat a box and two circles in Inkscape, move the circles over the box to create the curved sides, export to jpeg and import into Gimp where you can erase the excess lines.
If I have completely misunderstood, just ignore me. :)

Thanks guys, really appreciate your help
Martin, have followed your suggestion on inkscape and have pattern thanks :) haven't gone as far as erasing excess lines cos I can use it as is, still managed to get one of my ellipses with thicker line than others - don't know how but that's how it goes when I use computer :roll:
Chippygeoff, was planning to try some layers, have just made an arched tealight holder using 'swingguitar' from youtube pattern, but used a piece of teak that I was given sandwiching 3 layers of plywood that I was also given, am really pleased with the effect. Would do it again, but would use better standard of ply as this particular piece was chock full of voids that took ages to fill, but as I say, nice effect with dark and light stripes

gilljc":mwjyjv3k said:
want to make a simple tealight holder, rectangle shape with 'curved in' sides. I am sure I should be able to do this easily, but can't figure out how, have tried on inkscape, serif and word 2010, and failed, #-o would be very grateful if anyone can explain how to do this?

Gill

Gill.

I am also non computer savvy and as a consequence cannot produce any patterns on the computer. :?

The way I sort of get around this, is by printing out a existing pattern or patterns, cutting them out with scissors or craft knife, pasting the bits I want together, then photocopying.

I then have the pattern I want, it is a bit fiddly and time consuming, but for non computer proficient scroll saw users, it’s a way around the problem. :)

Hope this is of help.

Take care.

Chris R.

If you can draw or sketch and then post a photo, then I can give it a go for you.

Will need some dimensions, ie wood thickness and etc etc,

Happy to give it a go for you

I may be way off here, but is it something like one of the below ?

Attachments

• Candle holder.jpg
    Candle holder.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 876

Latest posts

Back