I just had to tell someone - skip diving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Blackdog

Established Member
Reaction score
One of the hotels in our village is having a big refurb. They are putting nice stuff to one side of the skip (furniture etc). They've just taken out the bar and I struggled home with a ten foot mahogany bar top!! :D :D

It is made up of three pieces 7" x 1.25" x 10'. It stinks of beer (could be worse) and will need cleaning up. It will still have the odd screw hole, but it is pretty clean and straight.

Weighs a tonne. I was walking the dog when I saw it and not wanting to lose out I carried it home. I dropped it and it usefully came apart (terrible jointing!) making it more manageable - but still blooming heavy!

I kept having to step into the road to miss passers-by. Well, I got about 50 yards before I realised it was hopeless. So I dumped it on top of a dry stone wall and went home and got the car. Managed to get it in the garage before anyone (SWIMBO) noticed!

So one happy bunny. I think I will use this for guitar making and generally getting in the way in the garage!!

I'd be parked next to that skip for the forseeable future. :-D

mseries":23tv5fwe said:
It's theft though - unless you get permission of course.

Not if it's next to the skip. You're just clearing away some fly-tipping, which I think is ok to do.

NazNomad":30dsqgok said:
mseries":30dsqgok said:

Not if it's next to the skip. You're just clearing away some fly-tipping, which I think is ok to do.
Fair point. I woner if the bar dismantlers didn't put the nice stuff in the skip because they'd arranged for someone else to collect it. They'll be dissappointed it's been recovered.

mseries":3j114848 said:
NazNomad":3j114848 said:
mseries":3j114848 said:

Fair point. I woner if the bar dismantlers didn't put the nice stuff in the skip because they'd arranged for someone else to collect it. They'll be dissappointed it's been recovered.

Let's be honest about this bar top - it is a bit of a mess! it was covered in all sorts of muck, which I have had to clean off - not a thing of beauty!

The hotel owner has publicised the fact that people are welcome to take stuff from the skips. I agree that you should not assume that everything chucked in the skip is intended to be dumped. I always ask the builder if they mind - they never do - sometimes they look at you as if you are a bit weird ;)

I guess the "without permission" bit is the key piece here. In my case there was permission given - the hotelier had made it known that people should take what they want. She'd thought about selling stuff on eBay, but decided that it wasn't worth the faff.

There's a difference between accepting a gift and taking something belonging to someone else :)

phil.p":q9a55wyg said:
I was thinking more of other posts than yours - it wasn't a dig at you.

I don't take it personally, Phil!

I'm now getting rather worried that I may have jumped to a conclusion - I should have checked with the hotelier to make sure.

I suppose the same probably applies for that 2015 Honda Fireblade that I found abandoned outside the chip shop with the keys in the ignition. Now you mention it, I wonder if the owner hadn't meant for someone to hop on and ride it into the sunset :oops:

A Fireblade? He was probably happy that he scored fish & chips that night, you did him a favour. :-D

I own a company that refits restaurants, anything we want to keep goes straight on a van, everything else goes by the skip. and trust me when I say it helps when things get taken by members of public, as it saves us skip space.

working in the building industry striping out Victorian houses Im often privy to some lovely timber, the other guys always give me an odd look when they see me pulling apart sapele windows and carefully taking out beautiful old pine. then there a bit shocked when they see a table or something else that i made from some manky old timber. best haul to date was a 5 metre length of pine about 16" x 16" think i cracked my boss van windscreen bringing it back on the roof rack shhh don't tell him! lovely bit of slow grown wood, was a supporting beam from an old pub built in 1895 just off portebello road. sure there was a fair bit of metal in it, but underneath all that was beauty!

skips in London are pretty sh@t, usually two Romanians in a battered tranny get there before me!

adidat

Back