I just had a lovely day out...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
... at The Toolpost Open Day.

Spent most of my time with Glenn Lucas.
What a lovely chap he is and what a good turner.
His demonstrations were good and his explanations clear.
He spent far more time than any demonstrator I've seen explaining and demonstrating sharpening - all freehand of course.
Needless to say the finish off the tool is excellent.
At the end of his second demo he gave the platter he made to a new teenage turner - signed :).

Also there were Tracey Owen - giving some hands-on tuition, Tony Wilson - in good form as always and many others.

Terry Smart was there - selling Chestnut's new gilt cream range, new in this week! Due for it's official launch at the Harrogate show.
So I bought some.

Also bought some chuck jaws and the new Glenn Lucas DVD.

All-in-all a good day out, so if you're free tomorrow it is worth the drive :)

Sounds like a great day out.

Shame I can't go as have younglings to look after.

Hi Pete

I have met Glen twice , even had a meal at his house :lol:

Any yes I agree he is a decent chap and knows how to turn a bowl or 10.000

:lol:

Visited Toolpost today for a while as I was in the area anyway and had a good and enjoyable hour or so.

Bumped into Chris (Ratwood) and had a chat, but otherwise didn't notice anybody else from the forum that I recognised.

Picked up a couple of things and resisted a bunch more but only just !

Cheers, Paul :D

Sorry I missed you Paul.
I spent a couple of hours having a mooch around but was quite restrained and just bought a few consumables.
I too thought that Glenn was a great demonstrator, bringing everyone in and involving, explaining and showing them what he was about.

I wish I could have been there but I have a weekend job that helps to pay the bills!

I sincerely hope that everyone who can attend has as an enjoyable day as the other posters.

Regards, Peter.

Thanks guys for coming along, I had such fun over the 2 days. I just love the informal demo's where everyone can get up close and interact.
Thanks to Peter Hemsley, Sheila and Steve for putting on a great day and making everyone feel so welcome. I have made some new friends and glad to hear people learned a bit in my demo's.

Best wishes,
Glenn Lucas :D

I just followed the link to Glenn's DVD trailer, and then went on to watch the other vids that he's posted on Youtube, and all I can say is WOW, I've never seen a bowl being turned so quickly and with so much ease. I don't think that I've learnt so much in so little time ever before.

If you have the time, don't hesitate to check out the 10 part series he's posted here

http://www.youtube.com/user/GlennLucasWoodTurner#p/a

Glenn, your DVD has gone to the top of my Christmas list, I'm very impressed!!

Cheers

Aled (who wishes that there were some decent turning demos within reasonable travelling distance of deepest darkest west wales)

Thanks Aled for your kind words.

The toolpost is stocking the DVD and I believe it will be up on their website shortly. The DVD was launched about 2 weeks ago and is aimed at helping turners master the techniques of sharpening and the use of woodturning tools for both spindle and bowl turning.
The feed back so far has been positive. There are plenty of detailed shots from all angles with clear explanations.

I am now working on DVD no.2 which takes a close look at everything to do with bowl and platter turning.

I will be also returning to the Tool post early in 2011 to do Master classes.

Thanks again,
Glenn :)

I 'll have a go at that, heard it mentioned before but first time I've seen it being used, Looks like you get a good angle with less chance of catches

Pete

Just a quickie (!) to say thanks to all who visited our Open House show at The ToolPost last weekend.

For those who were blown away by Glenn's presentation, you may be interested to know that he'll be back with us on Saturday 5th Feb 2011 to give a seminar on sharpening and tool use. On Monday 7th Feb he'll give a one day hands-on course on faceplate techniques (Bowl & Platter turning). Both here at The ToolPost in Didcot. For more info pls give me a bell on 01235 511101.

Finally, if you liked the last Open House, the next is on June 3rd/4th 2011 and will feature Benoit Averley from France.

All the best, Peter.

Back