I have computer problems (PC)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best thing you can do is download linux mint. install that . it is free and in most respects better.

MrTeroo":2ly9svj4 said:
devonwoody":2ly9svj4 said:
It was local built. ***But not wireless internet***

Make sure you have the LAN adapter driver available before you begin.

Good morning Mr. T.

I have been the last 1 hour getting my PC to work and behave itself thanks for latest mail re Lan driver.
What is that please?

In the meantime I have a gigabyte dvd disk 970A-D3 for motherboard, I suppose I should look for any update?
and get a disk with driver for the Nvidia off the web, latest.
So do you mind if I make a list of instructions in working order to do this Windows 7 pro installation and show to you with your approval to proceed?
Now going to request Microsoft to let me download a new installation disk with the serial number as per your advice yesterday.
John Devonwoody.

Thanks Mr.T.
Just found and installed my old Roxio dvd burner of 2010 !!!!!!

I am now going to take my medication, something like 2 hours overdue, have refreshment as you suggest and then I am the main bottlewasher and cook these days, we are both over 80 and do not now know how we ever found time to go to work.
But we usually get there in the end and sincerely thank you for help, but if responses are delayed I am sure you understand.

MrTeroo":2uzf8oqq said:
Yes, if you feel happy that you can backup your data beforehand, install it, update it and then locate any missing drivers,

You could buy or borrow a disk, or download the installer from Microsoft and burn your own disk.

Make sure the disc / installer version you use matches the version on your COA sticker

You are probably better downloading the correct version from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

and burning your own disk.

I would imagine, if it is quite modern, your computer is 64 bit, so download the 64 bit version.

NEW MESSAGE FROM devonwoody

The roxio burner I installed failed to download that W7 64 bit.
I got Microsoft to accept serial number and it proceeded to send the 4gb. (over 8 minutes according to progress box to roxio) and at the end a message appeared stating "A problem caused program to stop working, windows will close and notify you if a solution is available.
Is it something to do with COA sticker you mentioned?

Do it again but just choose the 'save' option.

It should then download it and save it to your downloads folder.

Just got it burnt in Roxio, it was in downloads and I eventually found a way to drag it on to the Roxio app and it took around 30 minutes and is an ISO image and states it can be used at other computers.

So now back to household duties and will back up stuff elsewhere I want to keep. Will come back to you if I may with my intention list of operations when inserting the windows disk.

devonwoody

Ok, but first I think you should check that the computer boots from that DVD?

Put it in, restart the computer

Look on the screen for 'press any key to boot from disc'
Press any key

If it starts the installer you can hold the power button in until it goes off.

MrTeroo":23c89nt2 said:

Press any key

No response when doing that Mr. T. apart from getting the Welcome sign and a normal boot up.
I had a look at properties of the disk and it does state there are 3.4 gbs loaded.
I will give it another go using a formatted usb stick and I assume same instructions apply, stop before operation starts.

I would mention I do have another W7pro disk supplied this year for another PC a refurbished model from amazon used and connected to my Yamaha music keyboard. Can I stick it in and I assume it will ask for the serial number of the pc in trouble at a point?

Have you definitely dismissed installing Windows 10?

Win 7 is pretty old now, and 10 is a very good lightweight system...

devonwoody":eebls4ec said:
MrTeroo":eebls4ec said:

Press any key

No response when doing that Mr. T. apart from getting the Welcome sign and a normal boot up.
I had a look at properties of the disk and it does state there are 3.4 gbs loaded.
I will give it another go using a formatted usb stick and I assume same instructions apply, stop before operation starts.

I would mention I do have another W7pro disk supplied this year for another PC a refurbished model from amazon used and connected to my Yamaha music keyboard. Can I stick it in and I assume it will ask for the serial number of the pc in trouble at a point?
You might need to enter the BIOS to enable booting from a CD.

When you switch your pc on and get the usual DOS text it should give you an option to hit one of the F keys (F2 I think) to enter BIOS. From there, look for the option of boot disk priority and make sure your DVD drive is in there and placed before your hard drive in the priority order

Don't assume yet that your disk is at fault.

When you boot your computer. before the Windows logo, look for Boot Options. Next to that it will tell you which key to press - usually F12

Press the F12 key and you should be given a list of boot options, choose CD-ROM

If F12 doesn't work on your computer try more restarts and the other F keys - F11 / F10 / F9

The best way to do it is to restart / turn on, then start repeatedly pressing the key - press. press. press etc

You may need to restart a few times to get it right.

When you find it and choose boot from disc, you then still need to look on the screen for 'press any key to boot from disc'
At this point
Press any key

OK Had one go no luck yet.

Leaving til tomorrow am
(did make another disk using the R/H and send to from downloads)

Thanks

I just had a look at the manual for your motherboard - Gigabyte GA-970A-D3?

F12 is the key to press when you start it.

Does your startup screen look like this?

Startup screen - ga-970a-d3.jpg

Attachments

• Startup screen - ga-970a-d3.jpg
    Startup screen - ga-970a-d3.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 390
devonwoody":1rtzge2q said:
Just got it burnt in Roxio, it was in downloads and I eventually found a way to drag it on to the Roxio app and it took around 30 minutes and is an ISO image and states it can be used at other computers.
Just to make sure - put the DVD in the drive & opt to view the files.
If there is a single ISO file then it won't boot.
If you see folders & files Roxio has opened the ISO & burnt the files to the DVD & it becomes bootable.

Robbo3":31esto77 said:
devonwoody":31esto77 said:
Just to make sure - put the DVD in the drive & opt to view the files.
If there is a single ISO file then it won't boot.
If you see folders & files Roxio has opened the ISO & burnt the files to the DVD & it becomes bootable.

I had a look at that.

There is only a single file displayed on disk ISO.
If I open the item with 7rar there are a number of files and folders including an icon, SETUP
So would clicking set up start the process when I am ready to creating the news windows7 do you think?

Back