I have computer problems (PC)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it would be simpler to uninstall Roxio and use W7 to burn a new disk using the instructions in the link I gave you yesterday.

Do you know how to uninstall a programme?

Uninstall Roxio, restart, new DVD in and follow the instructions in yesterday's link to burn a bootable dvd

Put any dvd's you have made so far in the bin to avoid confusion.

Thanks Mr. T.

Earlier this morning I did uninstall Roxio and then dragged the microsoft software with that W7 on to a new disk.
It is still a single IOS item and needs to be opened using 7rar to see the contents hence asking if it would boot from ticking the start up icon.

Have never got that gigabyte display you mentioned but will try again nothing works for me at the moment with F12 only F7.
Going xmas shopping in a few moments so will come back again later.
Thanks all.

Devonwoody, when you get back from Christmas shopping:

You have two problems at the moment
1. Creating the correct install DVD
2. Making the computer boot from that DVD

No point wasting time on 1 if you can't accomplish 2

You said you had a W7 disc from another computer. I think you should concentrate on getting the computer to boot from that before you go any further.
** by that I don't mean go ahead and install using that disc **

F12 key is the obvious route to try first

Put the disc in.
Turn the computer off
Turn it on again and immediately start repeatedly pressing the F12 key

Hopefully you will get white text on a black background offering you a list of boot options.

If you do, don't go any further just come back with the good news :)

MrTeroo":1iih0ssr said:
Devonwoody, when you get back from Christmas shopping:

You have two problems at the moment
1. Creating the correct install DVD
2. Making the computer boot from that DVD

No point wasting time on 1 if you can't accomplish 2

You said you had a W7 disc from another computer. I think you should concentrate on getting the computer to boot from that before you go any further.
** by that I don't mean go ahead and install using that disc **

F12 key is the obvious route to try first

Put the disc in.
Turn the computer
off
Turn it on again and immediately start repeatedly pressing the F12 key

Hopefully you will get white text on a black background offering you a list of boot options.

If you do, don't go any further just come back with the good news :)

Ok will be in touch

so I see, a little problem then because my proper monitor is mounted on its back bracket to a wall and its original base is broken so not very mobile. Leave with me for the time being and I might get hold of another very small monitor from a friendly neighbour
HDMI leads are not all the problem reading more threads!

Looking back over the past years history of this computer I am now coming to understand where my problems are most probably sourced.
The motherboard.
Also compounded with changing the monitor to the 40"tv around 3 years ago and having to use HDMI leads,(some would not work at all)
The local IT tech just around 3 weeks ago could not load the W7 disk and that was in his own workshop and not involving HDMI.
There have been times over the years before and after HDMI W7 would not even boot up.
This year I have returned three Watcom intuos tablets, over £700 because they would not work so I think I now know why, the BIOS has a problem.
So going to watch the sales after Xmas and perhaps buy a new one or wait until the next version of Windows is issued and get a service agreement at the same time and let them worry.

Thanks all for that super support and advice, I would have made you all a tissue box but sadly even that is not possible owing to giving up my workshop

DW, I think you were a brave man to even consider doing a Windows reinstall. It's not for the faint hearted. I wish I lived closer so I could come & help you out.

This company sells refurbished desktop PCs. I've bought from them in the past.

I think you need an Intel Core i3 or even better a Core i5 processor to see any gain.

This page lists, by price, what they have in stock. There is also a second page.
- https://www.rapidit.co.uk/computing/ref ... rder=price

Pick the ones that say HDMI. You need to ask if there is a vacant PCEi slot for your graphics card. You may also want to ask the price for extra memory. Most seem to have 4GB whereas you had 8GB. They will install & test for you. Postage is free.

HTH

I have done some windows reinstalls over the 20 years but this present set up as you can see has some problems and I am addicted to the 40" screen so will investigate that link, if it was summertime I would offer you a long weekend visit in the guest wing, a conservatory.
(Actually the present PC is over 8 years old and is a quad core 4100 and AMD)
I will send my present system copy to that link and see what comes.

Back