i have 200 EUROS, mitre saw or a circular saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_SAMa

Established Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
im about to do a project that requires cutting some lumbers (65mm by 65mm) and some mdf boards very accurately the circular saw i have now is too small to cut through the timber so i think its time for me to buy a new saw. it isnt very accurate either so i think i need better one. however since i dont have a miter saw yet, it could also be an option. which one do you think will be more worth the money? a better circular saw or a miter saw?
well heres what i think:
if i buy another circular saw i will be better off when cutting boards, sheets, etc. but for cutting timber it wont be as accurate as a miter saw. if i buy a miter saw i will be able to cut lumbers really accurately but ill have to cut boards with my current circular saw which isn't very accurate. as per the title my budget is around 200 euros, so please think about which one is better in this price range.
thanks in advance for your help
Sam

Coote":11wu5580 said:
Hi,
I bought one of these http://www.axminster.co.uk/kreg-kreg-sq ... rod824666/ and one of these http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... prod21753/ which have made mt circular saw much more accurate. I was going to upgrade but now I think I'll get a mitre saw instead. The Kreg square cut is now one of my most used tools.
Hope this helps
hi coote,
so you think the miter saw is more worth the money? makes sense, its worth buying a type of tool that ive never used.
maybe ill by the miter saw now, and when i have more money, ill get a high-quality circular saw
now the thing is, what miter saw should i buy? i will need to cut multiple pieces at the same time for consistency so i think it will be better for me to buy a sliding miter saw

You are carrying out two different functions. For cutting mdf sheet you need a circular saw (or table saw). If you use a straight edge as a guide you can be reasonably accurate, especially if you have a good blade in the saw. For the larger timber sections your idea of a mitre saw is the obvious solution, but cheaper saws tend to be less accurate - especially the sliding mtre saws. If you are only likely to need to cut smaller sections (like those you mention) then a basic mitre saw would suffice - more accurate at a lower price but not able to cut wider timbers. It's always worth looking on Ebay and other auction type sites as used bargains can be found within your budget.

Another possibility would be a (used?) table saw with a 250 mm blade which would cut both sheet material and timber up to 75 mm depth. But, if you are working with long material then this would not really be safe.

Misterfish

Back