I hat success on Ebay, a new DeWalt DW733, but . . . . .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schummie

Established Member
Reaction score
Last week I tried my luck on Ebay, I did a bid on a new DeWalt DW733,
and what do you think . . . . . . . I got him, for 280 pound.
But now I have a problem, how I get the DeWalt to the Netherlands?
Normally it goes true Axminster and Rutland, but now I must arrange
something myself.
The seller is not really helpful because he has a new buyer, who wants
to give more for DeWalt, not really nice.
My question is, is there someone with experience with sending goods from the
UK to the Netherlands.
I’m so happy I got the DW733, but how I get it in my “woodshop”
I hope there is someone who will and can help me.

Thanks Schummie

http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280397008475

The DW733 Is extremely heavy. I think you will have trouble getting it shipped.

Hi Schummie,

The firm I work for in Aberdeen has a base in the Netherlands and we send parts etc from UK to Netherlands frequently and TNT provide a pretty good service in either direction. Maybe you could contact your local TNT base and find out if they will arrange collection in UK and deliver to you in Netherlands.

Hope this is of help.

Schummie":195aengf said:
The seller is not really helpful because he has a new buyer, who wants
to give more for DeWalt, not really nice.

to be honest i'd tell him in that case to stick his thicknessser up his fundamental orifice, sideways

you could buy brand new one from axminster for arround a hundred notes more http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0

and you'd probably find that their delivery charge will be less than you can arrange yourself - which will defray some of the cost plus you will have reassurance of a warranty, instructions, and axminster customer service

I agree with big soft moose.
The machine is not well regarded see http://tinyurl.com/yen3ouy
And I read in another form a few days ago, this:
DeWalt DW733
http://www.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/prod ... tno/DW733/

If anyone's considering getting a thicknesser, I'd avoid this.

Several reasons not to buy it. First, the exit of the waste chute is too
big to fit my Karcher workshop vacuum, so the chute clogs up - not often,
but enough to get tedious. I guess if you've got an industrial vacuum you
might be OK. But it's meant to be a portable, site, machine...

The waste chute is held on with three small screws which are fiddly to do
up and undo. With the chute fitted you can't fold up one side of the
table.

Worst (for me), it can't cope with oak, which is admittedly hard and
slippery. But I bought it on the advice of Machine Mart - the guy in the
shop phoned a 'technical expert' to make sure it would do what I wanted...
but even set to less than 0.5mm the roller has trouble pushing the wood
through and 90% of the time it's a question of pushing/pulling the wood by
hand.

All in all, while it hasn't actually broken, it's made a tedious job into
a very much more tedious job than it should have been.

actually we've got a 733 in the workshop at work and i love it - in my view its a great machine easy to use , easy to set up, very little snipe and robust enough for site use - including sliding about in the back of the van.

Ive had no problems with the extraction either but then i'm using it on a chip extractor ADE1200 stepped down to 2.5 ins - trying to attach a thicknesser to a shop vac is just plain stoopid

and we use it on oak all the time (both green and seasoned) with no problems - if the reviewer in questions machine coudnt cope with oak i would suspect that his knives werent sharp.

my comments on the post above were more to do with the attitude of the seller and the fact that 280 isnt a fantastic price for a second hand machine (guide price is usually 2 thirds of new - so 380 new should equate to circa 250 s/h

that's the first negative comment I've ever heard about that machine. It's often held in high regard.

I have contacted the seller from Nuneaton again to ask for the papers
for the guarantee and the bill from the new planner.
He told me now that there where no papers with the DeWalt.
The only thing I can conclude that the DW733 is stolen, or not?
I always hat the idea that Ebay was free off this kind off things, stupid.
I was so happy with my new DeWalt DW733.

Schummie.

Schummie":pu4poo1p said:
I have contacted the seller from Nuneaton again to ask for the papers
for the guarantee and the bill from the new planner.
He told me now that there where no papers with the DeWalt.
The only thing I can conclude that the DW733 is stolen, or not?
I always hat the idea that Ebay was free off this kind off things, stupid.
I was so happy with my new DeWalt DW733.

Schummie.

Why? I have lot's of tools where I don't have any bills or waranty papers since I'm a very untidy person and have misplaced/lost them, that doesn't mean all my tools are stolen.

IMHO, let this one slip by, save up and buy from axminster (or another) that way you'll get waranty and for some weird reason shipping from the uk done by a bussiness is a lot cheaper that when a private person ships something to you.

Heb je het wel goed gelezen Chris, het is een nieuwe, ongebruikte machine.
Have you read well Chris, it is a new, unused machine.

Schummie.

Schummie":2byuywz1 said:
Heb je het wel goed gelezen Chris, het is een nieuwe, ongebruikte machine.
Have you read well Chris, it is a new, unused machine.

Schummie.

hmm a new unused machine with no paperwork on ebay (for auction rather than an ebay shop) with an unhelpful seller who now claims to have another buyer offering more but is still selling the machine to you for a hundred pounds less than list - hmmm indeed

I would say one of four scenarios

a) its not new and unused at all - its second hand and still in reasonably good nick so is being sold under false pretences

b) it is, as you say, stolen or perhaps defective / fire damaged, bankrupt stock or grey import

c) it is snide - that is not really a DW733 at all

d) a con - that is the machine doesnt exist and you will never see your money again

my advice - walk away, you dont want any truck with any of these scenarios - the adage that if it seems too good to be true it probably is , may well apply.

DW733 can be had for £359 on Special at D&M Tools. Only used them once, but no complaints from me so far.
Maybe other forum members have more knowledge of D&M Tools.

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... /sn/DEW733

I use Parcel2Go for most things I send out. Looks like this would start at about £23.50 for delivery to Netherlands.

https://www.parcel2go.com/Search-Result ... etherlands

You never know, D&M or Axminster might even be cheaper on delivery as big companies usually have accounts
with prefered couriers with a preferential rate due to the volume of shipments they make.

Give them a call and ask the question... Don't ask, don't get.. ;-)

Cheers,
Sam

Just because it is on ebay doesn't mean it is stolen. He may not have the documents for the machine simply because they were thrown away when the machine was bought. I certainly don't keep any documentation for any of my tools. The reciept could of been used for business purposes or like the documentation been thrown away.

I have no idea of the quality of the machine in question. But think all of the portable thicknessers are over priced. I can't see any of them being heavy enough to do the job unless you are only planning smaller pieces of wood. The other thing is they don't have a jointer so you have to buy a separate machine for this. Without a jointer a planer is useless to me. Until recently i've always bought my wood planed. It is more expensive but till now i could not justify buying a jointer planer.

There are plenty of good machines to be had used that just need a bit ot TLC. I got myself a 12 inch sedwick that took a bit of adjusting and i'm pleased as punch. I resently saw one that didn't sell and the starting bid was £500. I paid £900 for mine and the one i seen on ebay looked in better shape then mine.

You may think you'll save space with a portable one but you need two pieces of equipment so you won't save much space and a devoted jointer is a few bobs as well.

Do yourself a favour and buy a thicknesser jointer combo used and just spend the time getting it perfectly set up you can't go wrong.

Latest posts

Back