I found sharp.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitzroy

All the gear...
Reaction score
So, last night in the shed I had a bit of an epiphany. I was trying some stuff for the shed windows and my chisel seemed dull. Instead of breaking out the veritas sharpening jig I grabbed the wet and dry and went at it freehand. Something clicked, stroked the edge to a convex on 400 grit, 600, 1200 then honed on a piece of mdf. There it was the edge I'd been looking for.

I'd managed sharp before, measured by arm hair shaving greatness, but my ability to achieve it seemed to come and go, and it took time setting the guide up etc etc. However, now I think I understand, it was a revelation, literally a minute or so put on a fantastic edge. I did my other two chisels, don't laugh yes I only have three, then I did the iron in my Stanley. My oh my, so that's what a plane is supposed to be able to do, and oh that tiny chink of light across the sole showing it's concave is actually important and stops me taking a whisper thin full width shaving. Finally I did the big 2.5 inch iron in an old woodie that I've never got to work. It is barely used and the mouth is so tight it is forever blocking up, or was! I went to bed at 1.30am, I even brought in some of the amazing full length whisper thin shaving curls and left them on the kitchen table to show the wife.

No this isn't a thread on sharpening, so don't start, but it is a thread to say you will KNOW when your tools are SHARP. Just woke up and itching to get back on the tools.

F.

And
You managed it without using hundreds of quids worth of kit that people get suckered into buying.

Well done!

Back