I fought the saw and the saw won.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Just over a week ago I was making a wooden plane and was trimming the body to shape on the bandsaw. Just a quick cut so didn't bother to lower the upper guide bearings to just over the work, mistake!! At the end of cut I slipped and ran the back of my right hand into the blade!!! . A trip to A&E and I found I had partially severed the tendon to my little finger. This has been repaired and at hospital and yesterday I was told that I can not use my right hand at all for another 3 weeks and can't drive or go back to work for another 4 weeks after that. All because I thought that just for one quick cut I didn't need to work properly. Be careful out there.

John

feeling a bit sorry for himself.

You're lucky that you only partly severed it. Bet you'll make sure the guards ar in the right place next time! Hope it all heals up well

Scrit

That made me cringe ! I quite often flick offcuts of wood away from the blade and then think why the hell did i do that . Hope it all heals up mate .

The bandsaw is quite a benign piece of kit, but don't let it fool you.....a moments carelessness and it will bite. Hope everything heals well John - Rob

Ouch, John; nasty. Glad it wasn't any worse and hope all heals up satisfactorily (and you don't go crazy waiting while it does! :D ) Good reminder too - mustn't get blasé about the neanderbuddy. :(

Cheers, Alf

Thank goodness the accident wasn't even more serious. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Gill

Hi Johnboy,

Ouch again!

As Frank Klauz said, the saw doesn't know the difference between flesh and wood. I guess we all take these 'calculated' risks. We shouldn't of course.

Hope everything heals up well and quickly.
John

Shudder
Follow the quacks instructions to the letter, catch up on reading, and hey, assuming the best, this too close shave may have reduced your chances of an even worse accident in the future.
All the best
Steve.

thanks for all the replies. I think I am going to be able to catch up on all the reading I had planned. No woodworking until the end of August, i will just have to follow all the work on here.

regards

John

John,

That's a hard luck/good luck story I guess. It could have been worse but then it isn't great now of course.

Hope the healing goes well and faster than expected but don't strain it. I recall ripping open stitches on a finger after an accident as I had made the mistake of thinking the wound was healed better than it was.

Back