I fought the saw and the saw won.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh No!! Get well soon.

On a similar note a friend just came out of hospital. The guy in the next bed had cut his fingers off one hand by picking up a Flymo while it was still going!
Turns out he was deaf and didn't realise it was still switched on!

It is so easy to make a mistake that costs (blood or cash), isn't it?

SF

Make sure you do not stress the finger until it is completely healed. Bandsaws are often referred to as one of the safer power tools mainly because of the lack of kickback. But it can cut your fingers off with ease often without you being aware until you see a red line on the wall. Today I had a silly accident, I was honing a plane blade using a honing guide, I put it on the side of the bench and it started to topple over. It was a LN blade and the floor was concrete, I therefore grabbed it, guess what I grabbed the sharp end nice long cut in my palm, but no real damage. In a silly instant I thought, if the blade hits the ground it will not repair itself, but if it cuts me I will repair, stupid attitude.

Johnboy, thanks for the reminder.

I am definately going to move my bandsaw fence to the othe side of the blade carrier mechanism so that I can cut narrow slices off a board when using the bandsaw. Or put a false flat thin piece of timber against the fence as a guiding bearer.
This means the the blade carrier would then almost be touching the timber.
But I suppose if you are cutting 6" thick timber there is a lot of blade exposed at the end of a cut.
I keep meaning to do it but your meeasge tells me I must.

Get well soon.

I never have a, "this only happens to someone else" mentality and assume that one day this will happen to me.

I've cut the tip off my finger cutting onions and almost ran the back of my hand into a decelerating-to-stop chop saw because the blasted return guard somehow got stuck but that's it thus far.

Mindful that my time will come :? :( :( :( :(

I wish you a speedy recovery - Ian

Sorry to hear about your accident John - lets hope it heals in good time! If you catching up on your reading, I can recommend 'Interpretation of Murder' - Jed Brunfield (I think thats the authors name).

ByronBlack":3ebbk8i5 said:
Sorry to hear about your accident John - lets hope it heals in good time! If you catching up on your reading, I can recommend 'Interpretation of Murder' - Jed Brunfield (I think thats the authors name).

Never mind that... the new Harry Potter book is out next week :wink:

Slimjim81":33kawizl said:
ByronBlack":33kawizl said:

Harry potter!! Are you sure, I thought this was a forum inhabited by adults :twisted: :twisted:

ByronBlack":39o37mu6 said:
Slimjim81":39o37mu6 said:
ByronBlack":39o37mu6 said:

Harry potter!! Are you sure, I thought this was a forum inhabited by adults :twisted: :twisted:

That is the ultimate irony. Harry Potter IS for adults

kafkaian":1w6cc26g said:
ByronBlack":1w6cc26g said:
Slimjim81":1w6cc26g said:
ByronBlack":1w6cc26g said:

That is the ultimate irony. Harry Potter IS for adults

Really - how does one deduce that?

Sorry to hear about that John, I know how you're feeling as I had a similar experience myself this week. While trying to separate a glue joint made with hot hide glue that didn't loosen from kettle steam, I had a craft knife wiggling around in there. It got stuck, and when it came free it shot across the wood and of all places managed to land in the webbed bit of skin between thumb and first finger on my left hand, puncturing and ripping it open and ending up about about 3/4" inside my hand. Anywhere else on my hand would've just produced a small cut, but now I'm out of woodworking for 2 weeks when I was just starting to get somewhere with the guitar I'm building.

I am an adult most of the time but have the Harry Potter book on order, definetely not just for kids.

Bainzy, what with you and Pekka cutting the tip off his finger there will be nobody left to do any woodworking soon.

John

My sympathies on the injuries mentioned.... and thanks for posting.

I try to stay scared or my machines as getting complacent near fast moving sharp things is something I try to stay aware of..... and reading this sort of thing keeps the thoughts fresh.

Back