i finaly did it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greggy

Established Member
Reaction score
hiya guy's
after a long hard slog i finally made my very own jigsaw puzzle pen.
i thought that if it could be done by a machine, then it can be done by me.
this is the result of four attempts to get it right, the first three,,,,,
well let's just say the bin was well fed.
the final result is a creation by my lazer engraver and myself giving it a total of about 60 hours work.
now then , was it worth all the hassle,,,

i would say no.
because you can by them now in the uk for £35.00.
anyway what do you think.

27092009427.jpg

27092009428.jpg

Pens are not really my thing but that is a very nice piece.

My only thing with it is that some of the colured pieces blend into one another a little and would have liked to see maybe more differing colours just to bring out each puzzle piece.

Seems like a big thing when i write it but it reall isnt. a very nice piece!

:tongue9: My god man, you're insane! Well done, hat off to you, it looks top notch. =D>

Greggy, thats a beautiful piece of work,something to be proud of.You seem to have the ability to set your mind to do something and succeed well done REgards Boysie.

Congratulations on the achievement, I guess that one is a definitely keeper.

Patience and perseverance produced perfect proffesional product
Nice one Greggy
pip

Thats one hell of a pen Colin :D Very well done mate.

Did the 60 hrs go into this pen or was it on all of the attemps?

You should get a patience award either way :lol:

JT

I am mightily impressed with that! :shock:
I am also mightily impressed with the pen case.
NOW! How was it done? :?

John. B

hiya guys, many thanks for the kind words, it's very nice of you. especially nice of you to comment whether good or bad.
ALIE, i did onhttps://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/vi ... uzzle+pene ages ago,,

CHAS no keeping this it's already sold.

PAUL J, no it is'nt my entry for next year. i am hoping to do something other than a pen. after all the entries i am inspired.
JOHNNY T, the 60 hrs is for all the attempts.

JOHNB, the box was brought in from the states. it's done on the laser.
i am waiting instructions from the customer as what she wants laser engraved on the box.

once again a big thank you.

I'm sorry, I know it's rude to ask. But can you give us a ball park figure what this sold for.

Hi Colin

Even if you are only paying yourself the national minimum wage you would need to charge £350 just to cover your time. This does not take into account materials costs, workshop overheads etc. etc., and anyway, paying the minimum wage for this sort of work would be ridiculous.

If you sold it for less than three times that amount you are ripping yourself off. Doesn't seem like a commercial proposition to me, but nonetheless a great pen and a fantastic piece of work. I hope your purchaser appreciates it.

Cheers

Walter

Colin has done a great job here, and it must have given him great satisfaction, but it is never going to be a commercial proposition, and I am sure Colin never intended it to be.

The commercially available kits from Turner's Retreat are just over £60 for the inlay kit, fountain pen and box. Even selling these to make a profit would result in a price of £120 minimum, IMHO. Adding on gallery fees of say 20% would take it to £144. I might make the odd one as a centre piece for my display, but I wouldn't expect to sell many at that price.

Again, being rude: Walter do you source your kits from Turners Retreat? I'd like a moderately special kit for a xmas present but the ones I've seen all seem a bit cheapy? Are their top end ones of good, lasting, quality?

wizer":9bz32xd5 said:
Again, being rude: Walter do you source your kits from Turners Retreat? I'd like a moderately special kit for a xmas present but the ones I've seen all seem a bit cheapy? Are their top end ones of good, lasting, quality?

I buy most of my kits from the USA or from Ukpenkits.com I do occasionally buy stuff from TR but I find they are a bit expensive. TR's top end kits, the ones they call the "Elite" range are all good quality kits with decent plating though and for small quantities, cheaper than importing.

hiya tom, there is no need to be cheeky,,, i certainly dont think you are.
this pen has sold for £300.00 inc the box engraving.

pete, let me give you some idea what people think.
a few weeks ago i was showing some of my pens at a wedding fair at one of our big hotels ( yes i did well ) i showed two pens the same i put one at £35.00 and the other at £85.00 and said which one would you buy ?
all the ones that were asked said the £85.00 one cos the other would be inferia. the moral of the story,, dont under sell yourself.
and by the way thanks for the comments.

Back