I don't think they would believe it nowadays?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, as kids of 14 (or less) we were out on our own with airguns.
Ha ha, yes, it was quite a common birthday present. But only if you had good grades at school.
And most boys carried pocket knives, too.
I was 14 when me and a mate of mine went on holiday without the parents for the first time.
Wouldn't suggest that nowadays though.

Wearing sandals to school (the sort with buckles) and when my feet got too big for them my parents would cut the toes out - of the sandals not my feet! No wonder I’ve got duff feet now.
Oh and did anyone else to the receiver rest tapping routine in old phone boxes to get free calls? (It worked too).

A TV you had to go and change channel on the TV itself, or you had a bit of bamboo with something soft taped to the end so you didn't have to get up.
Oh and only 4 channels.

4 Channels! Luxury!!!! We had 2 Oh and the Home Service, Light Programme and the Third Programme. Happy Days

I never had a whole can of coke, I had to share it with my sister, only had it on holiday, real special treat.
Never had coke as a kid. Best we got was a Britvic orange and a packet of Crisps, with blue twist of salt, sat in the car in the pub car park, no kids in pubs. Tizer was the special occasion drink at home. The milkman delivered it. Thinking about the pubs, we moved to Australia in the 60’s and us kids could go in the pub but women couldn’t. Different cultures 😀

I still do that. Cheese is made of mould anyway, at least thats my logic (still alive so far). Not doing it on bread though.
I miss proper milk with cream on the top too.

Another one is people smoking basically everywhere all the time, I remember not really being able to see through the fog on the top deck of the bus.

Ollie

We always cut the mould off cheese and carry on. Nothing wrong with that.

The smoking one is interesting. I started work in 1998 (not really that long ago) and there was a box on the form to say whether you willing to share an office with a smoker. A friend said “no” but still got put in an office with someone who liked to smoke a cigar or two everyday! Seems crazy now.

I was just thinking of some of the things from when I was younger that people would have difficulty believing today, but it's not really all that long ago. First one was when some people from the military came to school and told us what to do in the event of a nuclear bomb being dropped. The best advice they offered was to get down as flat as possible on the ground bury your face in the ground, hands over the top, :LOL: :LOL:

Second one, my wife reminded me a couple of days ago...'Remember when there were two mail deliveries a day?'

Army Trainer "Nuclear weapons produce a 360ft deep crater. The best defence remains the 6ft slit trench. Questions?"

My Uncle "How do you dig a 366ft slit trench?".

What? You still don’t do that? Ha ha, mind you I draw the line at mouldy bread. I remember the old, what to do in the event of a nuclear attack advice, something about removing all the doors and building a shelter under the stairs, perhaps somebody can remind me – all total b-llocks of course. Ian
I remember the milk being left on the doorstep in very cold weather and the foil top would be stood on the top of 3 inches of frozen solid cream that had ejected out of the top of the bottle. Memories. Before you know it we’ll be on to Monty Python. Ian
Not 3” but -8 here last night and pushed the top off.

Attachments

• 38832C83-BD0A-4267-BE6B-FE09F9DE5C1D.jpeg
    38832C83-BD0A-4267-BE6B-FE09F9DE5C1D.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 11
206mw.

Dan Dare.

Lost in Space.

Dick Barton, Special Agent

BBC

Navy Lark

Hancock's Half Hour

The Glums

2 Way Family Favorites on Sunday lunchtime, sorry, iy wasn't lunch then it was dinner unless you were 'awfully posh'

Phone box phones with 'A' and 'B' buttons

We still get unpasturised full cream organic with, complete with that lovely cream on top. It comes in 2 pint bottles, albeit plastic. Bur 2 pints not 1 of those metric things!

Cras with vacuum wipers like my Mk2 Ford Consul, 3 speed, coulomb change, bench front seat and my Ford 100E Perfect, 1172 side valve engine. I actually put electric wipers on that as I got totally fed up with the wipers getting slower the faster you went!

AA and RAC men on their motorcycle combos. They would salute their members if it was clear and just nod if there were any coppers around :devilish:

Whem I was in the R.A.F. we used to get a GDT, Ground Defence Training, lecture once a year. One lecture, at R.A.F. Lyneham we were sat listening to this Rock Ape (R.A.F. Regiment) Warrant Officer telling us the best was to dig a slit trench, 6 foot long by 6 foot deep. Some young Zob (officer) stood up and told the WO that he obviously wasn't a gardener and that it wouldn't be possible to dig a trench like that in the incredibly stony clay soil around here! The Rock Ape's reply was "Sir given enough incentive you would be able to dig that 6 foot slit trench through 4 foot of concrete wiv your navel!". The Zob sat down and was very quietafter that!

Back