I don't think they would believe it nowadays?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aint it funny listening to all the old codgers wax lyrical 🤪 :ROFLMAO: 😛

but i do agree with some things.

you arnt allowed to buy a butter knife untill you are 18 these days...... (eh hem. hiding my mates air gun behind my back🙃)

as as for air rifles, if you look at them and you are under 18, you end up in care courtesy of HMP

and you arnt legal on *ANY* tools until you are 16. thats right, not even a blummin drill. but i dowt that the powers that be will stop you.......

Last edited:
Ah, old telephone boxes... we used to go around as many as we could find and press button B (or was it A) and sometimes we would strike lucky and get 4d come out. Two hits in an evening and we could get a bag of chips each, complete with free batter bits if we asked nicely. Bread delivered by horse drawn cart. Electric milk float though. Going to the off-licence to get mum a bottle of stout. The grocer's shop.. Ridgeons or Ridgeways I think it was, not far from Kingstanding circle (Birmingham). Biscuits bought by the bag weight out of the biscuit tin.
Such fun.
Cheers, Phil
Button B got you your money back. Button A got pressed when you got an answer from the other end.

FOUR channels? I can remember three - when colour came out, it was on BBC2 only........
We had the first colour TV in this part of Cornwall. The Engineer who commissioned the Four Lanes mast promised to be finished in time for the Queens speech on Xmas Day 1970. He was staying with us - he finished working on the mast, drove back and tuned our TV in.

I was definitely ahead of my time. The first Ipod? Home-made crystal set (with genuine adjustable "cat's whisker"), pair of army surplus headphones and I was off listening to the Light Programme...

FirstIpod.jpg

All the demijons I ever saw were a gallon.
I remember one legendary party in 1976. There were forty one of us, most of us hit the pub til 1.00am, then drank everything everyone had brought plus thirty six gallons of draught Bass. To be fair, it didn't end until the following afternoon.

Going to the village school in Scotland in the 40's . Classes were so small they were combined having 2 classes with one teacher. There were a total of 9 in my class.
Writing on slate boards with slate pencils on which we wrote the answers to the long division and multiplication that the teacher chalked on the blackboard.
Who remembers using fractions?
If it was nice day the headmaster would sometimes take us on a field trip (walking) by the river Lunan . I remember him showing us how to guddle trout by tickling their bellies. Few cottages had running water indoors (we did) but had ornamental stand pipes in the street, and cooking was done on a trivet on the open fire. Milk was delivered from the farm by horse and cart in aluminium churns. I remember 1947 when we were snowed in and the village was cut off for 2 weeks The snow had drifted so high in one alleyway between 2 streets that we cut steps in the snow and walked up as high as the rooftops and down the other side. Mind you the houses then were all single story cottages..
Most families kept 2 pigs in a shed in the back garden, on went to the government and you kept the other for yourself , hanging the pork up in the outside wash house to smoke from the copper boiler that washed the clothes. I could go on but I'd better not

My Father referred to the kitchen tap as the well. As in he was going to fill the kettle from the well.

The Well Dad ??, it was Duke st you were from, not darkest Peru 🤣

I am a few months short of 40 so I am too young to remember that far back...... but we had combined classes in school. We were 8 on my class combined with either a 7 or 8 pupil class.
However I do remember farmers ploughing with Massey-Ferguson 35 and two furrow plough and I have some very faint memories of seeing some of the very last workhorses which already then were very old and had been replaced with tractors but the owners could just not send their old workmates to the butcher so the horses were kept until their time was over. I do also remember the last old man who refused to get a chainsaw but kept logging all by hand. I also remember when far from all houses had an indoor toilet and when professional fishermen used wooden clinker built boats with small locally made inboard engines. I also remember seeing some of the last birchbark roofs.

However I have met people who remembered using pine spelks for lighting. The Finnish equivalent of rushlights. The predecessor of oil lamps.
I have also met people who remembered pit sawing timber for boatbuilding.
I have met people who remembered seeing old people plough with an ard that did not turn the soil unlike "modern" ploughs.
I have met people who remembered making charcoal for blackmithing
I have met people who remembered seeing the first cars that came to the region.
I have met people who remembered when the first boat motors appeared.
I have met people who remembered the first electric lamps.
I have met people who have taken part in the last full scale seal hunting expeditions when hunters lived in a boat on the ice for months at a time.
I have met people who remembered locally made muzzle loaded riffles and shotguns still in everyday use for hunting. Though the original flintlocks had by then been converted to percussion locks.
I have met people who in their youth had threshed rye and barley with a flail in the era before motor driven threshers.
I have met people who in their youth had made wooden cart wheels for ordinary horse drawn farm carts.
I have met people who remembered the first tractor that came to this village. It was a Harland. A knock off of a Fordson F.

The past is very close after all.

As well as milk delivered by United Dairy in an orange horse drawn float in Wanstead, then in Essex, we also had a regular Knife Grinder with his grinding wheel as part of the bike and regular French Onion Johnnies with strings of onions on the handlebars and at the side.

Could go on about 4 sweets to an old 1s etc and the big freeze of 62/63. What are people complaining about now. My father was a doctor and had snow chains so went out in any conditions!

Phil

Do they still do mental arithmetic in school, where you're only allowed to write down the answer?
They do in year 5, my 7yr old (yr 3) is good at maths and does everything mentally and gets in trouble as he doesn’t write down his workings. You can never win!

fitz.

Back