I don't think they would believe it nowadays?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
testcardd.jpg

My grandmother lived in a very secluded valley and had endless problems with television reception. One day her neighbour had a huge "H" shaped aerial installed, and as it happened the weather changed and her picture faded. She told me the cause - it's because of that selfish bbbitchh next door stealing all my signal.:LOL:

The reverse is also true and I'm showing my age here :D but I couldn't believe that to pay a cheque into my current account now only basically requires a picture of it being sent to my bank from my phone. Did it Monday and the funds were available Tuesday! ! !😲

The reverse is also true and I'm showing my age here :D but I couldn't believe that to pay a cheque into my current account now only basically requires a picture of it being sent to my bank from my phone. Did it Monday and the funds were available Tuesday! ! !😲
Following Mark's reverse approach, back in the day attorneys didn't tend to appear in court as kittens via zoom.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peopleandplaces/lawyer-kitten-zoom-filter/vi-BB1dxOjs(still can't figure how to embed, sorry.)

TV ariels - I remember as a student walking around the living room with a little tv ariel trying to get some reception, anything so you had a picture of sorts and a sound. Luxury.

Not having 'an internet', having to go to the library to look up a fact in the encyclopaedia. Being allowed out to play at 7 years old until it was dark, although it;s the peple who did this who seem to have forgotten that they did (my kids are 7 and 9 and other parents are horrified that I let them walk to school on their own and to go an call on their pals a few streets away).

Following Mark's reverse approach, back in the day attorneys didn't tend to appear in court as kittens via zoom.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peopleandplaces/lawyer-kitten-zoom-filter/vi-BB1dxOjs(still can't figure how to embed, sorry.)

TV ariels - I remember as a student walking around the living room with a little tv ariel trying to get some reception, anything so you had a picture of sorts and a sound. Luxury.

'I'm here live, I'm not a cat' I've just about wet myself laughing. Made my morning.

Fitz.

All we hear from today's generation is how hard done by they are.
If you lived as a child in the 40's, 50's, 60's, looking back, it's hard to believe that we survived as long as we have, sit back and take a ride back to those Oh!! so hard times when:
· Our cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint.
· Mum looked after us at home while Dad went out to work, we had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cupboards, and we rode our bikes with no helmets.
· As children, we could ride in dads car with no seat belts or air bags.
· We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle, and Friday was bath night, in a tin bath in front of a real fire, no central heating.
· We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes, after running into the bushes a few times we quickly learned to solve the problem.
. We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. no one bothered us; no one was able to reach us all day, No mobile phones.
· We got cuts, broken bones, broken teeth, and a bit dirty, they were called accidents, no one was to blame, but us. Remember accidents? there were no lawsuits from these.
· We had fights and punched each other silly and got black, blue and filthy but soon learned to get over it.
· We ate cakes, bread and butter, and drank cordial, but we were never overweight...we were always outside playing.
· We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one died from it.
· We did not have Play stations, Nintendo, X-Boxes, video games, 65 channels on pay TV, video tape movies, DVD’s, Internet chat rooms ... we had friends, we went outside and found them.
· We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home knocked on the door, rung the bell, or just walked in to talk to them. Imagine such a thing today.
Without asking a parent! By ourselves! Out there in the cold cruel world! how did we do it?
.We made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out many eyes, nor did the worms live inside us forever.
· Footy and netball had tryouts and not everyone made the team, those who didn't soon learned to deal with disappointment....
· Some students weren't as smart as others so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade, tests were not adjusted for any reason.
· Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected. No one to hide behind.
· The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. they actually sided with the law - imagine that!
· This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had Freedom, Failure, Success and Responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.
And if you're one of them. Congratulations!

Have a good day WE deserve it.

Going around the back of the corner shop and nicking pop bottles, then taking them back to another shop for the 1d deposit or was it 1/2d? Mum, Dad, 3 kids, Grandma, Grandad in an Austin Cambridge from Durham to North Wales.

I had a conversation with my wife's niece ( 20 years old) last year and was trying to explain to her that telephones used to have a dial on them that you had to put your finger in and turn the dial, let it go and then wait until it went back, stopped before you then had to dial the next digit in the phone number.......She thought I was joking and I'd just made it up....😀 I said there used to be a little book by the phone that had your friends and family phone numbers in it written down....or, you had to be able to remember all the numbers....She thought I was drunk!!!
Not being allowed to use the phone - my parents got low users rebate so a 1 minute call could cost £3. Also had a part line so if the neighbours were using the phone you couldn't

Ice on the inside of your bedroom window in the morning when you woke up, and getting dressed in bed.
Repairing things, when the plastic casing on the kitchen scales broke I mounted the metal frame on four blocks of wood, my mum used it like that for years. Coming home from playing in the fields and ditches and making dens, so dirty that mum would strip me off by the back door and scrub me down in the Belfast sink in what I suppose we would call the utility room nowadays. Didn’t have any long trousers till I was about 12? It would’ve been pointless as the knees would’ve been through within a morning. Hell I had a wonderful childhood. Ian

I had a conversation with my wife's niece ( 20 years old) last year and was trying to explain to her that telephones used to have a dial on them that you had to put your finger in and turn the dial, let it go and then wait until it went back, stopped before you then had to dial the next digit in the phone number.......She thought I was joking and I'd just made it up....😀 I said there used to be a little book by the phone that had your friends and family phone numbers in it written down....or, you had to be able to remember all the numbers....She thought I was drunk!!!

Same here with the phone - my grandaughter asked how we sent texts!!!!!!!!!!

Shared telephone lines. If you wanted to make a call, you had to very carefully lift the telephone receiver and check if your neighbour was using the line or not. If you were on a call, you could normally hear if the neighbour lifted their hand set and you had to say something polite......'I think someone else is trying to use the line' to let them know you knew they were listening, lol

Ah, old telephone boxes... we used to go around as many as we could find and press button B (or was it A) and sometimes we would strike lucky and get 4d come out. Two hits in an evening and we could get a bag of chips each, complete with free batter bits if we asked nicely. Bread delivered by horse drawn cart. Electric milk float though. Going to the off-licence to get mum a bottle of stout. The grocer's shop.. Ridgeons or Ridgeways I think it was, not far from Kingstanding circle (Birmingham). Biscuits bought by the bag weight out of the biscuit tin.
Such fun.
Cheers, Phil

I never smoked, but when most shops would sell a single cigarette to a kid of any age.
Having to sit beside someone that smoked at work.....not that long ago!
Your mother cleaning behind your ears and making sure you were wearing clean underpants in case you had an accident!

We only had two TV channels at first.

I don't know if anyone else agrees but two channels in the 60' were much more entertaining than 50 nowadays.
I remember a TV critic back in the '80s writing that he'd finally succumbed and bought a satellite dish. He said it made a change not to be able to find something worth watching on sixteen channels instead of five.

Back