I cant believe how hard it is...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
To find someone in my area that supply hardwoods....tried all of the following...Jewsons...Travis Perkins...Howarth timbers...and the big sheds as a last resort....

Im in the Pontefract area of West Yorkshire...any ideas anyone local to me

Dave

thecoder":20gmfezm said:
To find someone in my area that supply hardwoods....tried all of the following...Jewsons...Travis Perkins...Howarth timbers...and the big sheds as a last resort....

Dave

What timber are you after? Arnold Laver in Bradford stock a reasonable amount of the usual suspects. John Boddies in North Yorks stock more.

HIH

Dibs

Looking for something to make a coffee table with,thanks for the info I was looking at John Bodys as we speak...I guess I will have to travel I kind of thought the Travis Perkins etc would stock this kind of thing but that shows how much I know lol.

Plenty of sites on line but I like to see what im getting upfront as Im new to this if you see what I mean,..

thanks

Dave

thecoder":3vhr15zy said:
Looking for something to make a coffee table with,thanks for the info I was looking at John Bodys as we speak...I guess I will have to travel I kind of thought the Travis Perkins etc would stock this kind of thing but that shows how much I know lol.

Plenty of sites on line but I like to see what im getting upfront as Im new to this if you see what I mean,..

thanks

Dave

Wanting to see it 1st - means either someone local or travelling there. Not found anyone willing to come to me yet. :wink:

Travis Perkins are a Builders Merchants and as such will only stock those things that are used by the building trade to construct houses and associated building works. Hardwoods - highly unlikely. Only sawmills and similar are likely to supply those.

http://www.nichetimbers.co.uk/ appear local to you. http://www.yell.com/s/timber+merchants-wakefield.html might be of some use.

Dibs

Yeah niche timbers are not too far away in Wakefield ...might have a ride over when I get a rare day off lol

Where in West Yorks are you dibs ?

Dave

There is British Hardwoods in Bradford I think, and Clive Walker Timber in Leeds- both may have a bit of something that you fancy. There was a nice bit of Chestnut for sale on the forum, if you can work out the logistics of getting it to you.

marcros":1atc2kbj said:
There is British Hardwoods in Bradford I think, and Clive Walker Timber in Leeds- both may have a bit of something that you fancy. There was a nice bit of Chestnut for sale on the forum, if you can work out the logistics of getting it to you.

Now at Crosshills (been there a few yrs now) - which is another 10 or so miles out of Bradford towards Skipton. Would add another 30mins (one way) for someone coming from Wakey.

Dibs

Pete W":1kk8ui5h said:
marcros":1kk8ui5h said:
There is British Hardwoods in Bradford I think.

Even if you can't get to British Hardwoods, they're very good about online orders. I've bought oak and maple from them and been pleased with both. They have an online timber catalogue here:
http://www.britishhardwoodsonline.com/
And they have some project-sized packs (with pictures of what you'll get) available here:
http://www.britishhardwoodsonline.com/i ... Path=56_75

Thanks for that much appreciated

Dave

Dibs-h":i434doas said:
marcros":i434doas said:

Now at Crosshills (been there a few yrs now) - which is another 10 or so miles out of Bradford towards Skipton. Would add another 30mins (one way) for someone coming from Wakey.

Dibs

Used to deliver product around crosshills in a former life ....nice part of the world

Dave

Had decent stuff from both Niche Timbers and British Hardwoods - but deeply unimpressed by Boddy's ... one other place well worth a look is the sawmill at Dacre ... old-fashioned sticked-up logs piled around ... got half a dozen lovely bits of ash at a very reasonable price.

thecoder":47kf78wb said:

Dave

Same here in Gloucester ... just nothing local with a good stock of hardwoods to "pop down to".

Try Howarth Timber in Pontefract. Think they have the hardwood supply.

Cheers

Hamburglar

hamburglar":2pr705d6 said:
Try Howarth Timber in Pontefract. Think they have the hardwood supply.

Cheers

Hamburglar

I dont know of any Howarth timber in Pontefract....theres one in Wakefield who tell me that they only stock softwoods..However I think ive come up trumps because when ringing round I have found a company who say I can have offcuts at reasonable rates.....so I will feedback on what I get when I have been over ther next week...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys....Im going to have a ride to Dacre as well I like the idea of picking my own off the pile LOL

regards

Dave

Lavers in Leeds are good and well priced, much more reliable stock than Boddies though not the range of exotics. I also go to Yorkshire Oak Supplies in Cleckheaton, lots of oak, ash, beech, maple, sycamore, chestnut, euro cherry and smaller amounts of others as stock rotates. Friendly chap and proper old shed that you can have a rummage through

Ironballs":rgcs99d5 said:
Lavers in Leeds are good and well priced, much more reliable stock than Boddies though not the range of exotics. I also go to Yorkshire Oak Supplies in Cleckheaton, lots of oak, ash, beech, maple, sycamore, chestnut, euro cherry and smaller amounts of others as stock rotates. Friendly chap and proper old shed that you can have a rummage through

Do you have a contact number or address please,a search suggests no website but an ebay shop with no stock..

Cheers

Dave

thecoder":116i8yv3 said:
Ironballs":116i8yv3 said:

Do you have a contact number or address please,a search suggests no website but an ebay shop with no stock..

Cheers

Dave

http://www.laver.co.uk/leeds.asp

Hi dibs

thanks for the link but I was refering to the Yorkshire Oak telephone number....sorry for not being clearer..

regards

Dave

Latest posts

Back