I can see the floor!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulrbarnard

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have some pictures to frame for Christmas. Mess, dust and no clear surfaces are not compatible. I’ve been forced to clear up.
Anyone else doing a pre Christmas clear up?
IMG_4103.jpeg

Nice, all looks like a good well lit space to work in.
The led lights make for a nice shadow free environment. I was off grid in my workshop for years so they are 12V battery with solar and a small wind turbine on the roof. I got power in a few years back but the lighting is still on the battery.

Ahh................... Every thing in it's place - And a place for everything. ............. Bliss.
All ready to be messed up again. :giggle:

There's still about 6 inches of shavings on the floor and half inch of dust covering everything in my makerspace/garage, I'll clean it up after the big day, enjoying spending my spare time in town at the shop meeting the people buying my items and learning about the other crafters processes and materials, especially the girls that do resin casting.

I've seen bits of the floor recently,does that count?I need to dig down to all of the bench top because somewhere on there I have a scale rule and flat scraper that I haven't seen for a while.

I've seen bits of the floor recently,does that count?I need to dig down to all of the bench top because somewhere on there I have a scale rule and flat scraper that I haven't seen for a while.
I found a card scraper this morning in the tool well of the bench. Haven’t seen it for at least two years.

Looks well organised Paul (y)

Anyone else doing a pre Christmas clear up?

I don’t so much have a tidy up at this time of year (I tend to clear up as I go along) but I do try to use the time off around Xmas to make changes or build things for the workshop, this year is no different as I’ve been collecting things to make a new router table set up for the last few months.

I also have a day or 2 between Xmas & new year helping a mate in his workshop, previous years we’ve sorted dust extractors, ducting & servicing machines this year we are hoping to get a load of insulation installed. He’s kind enough to CNC any components I need through out the year so it’s my way of paying him back.

The led lights make for a nice shadow free environment. I was off grid in my workshop for years so they are 12V battery with solar and a small wind turbine on the roof. I got power in a few years back but the lighting is still on the battery.
Can't recall my shap ever being that tidy. Looks good.

I put in solar panels earlier this year and have been fantasing about some wind power.

How about some details on your system?

I start with good intentions about cleaning my workshop... Then another project comes in! I maybe just do enough to vacuum the floor and machines. Put away the tools from the last projects. Knowing full well that I'm going to get them back out to do the latest one!

More and more floor space appears as my downsizing exercise progresses.The prospective new owner, who lives nearby, keeps calling in and drools over it - he's a car enthusiast.
Brian

Lights look good. Lighting is one of my biggest problems.

2 questions…. 1) nice to see the lathe and mill. What do you use them for?
2) how many marking gauges do you actually need?

Lights look good. Lighting is one of my biggest problems.

2 questions…. 1) nice to see the lathe and mill. What do you use them for?
2) how many marking gauges do you actually need?
I actually used the lathe yesterday to make a brass rod with a magnet fitted to the end to pull the metal benchdog MFT hole plugs out.
It’s surprising how often I use them. The mill often get used as a drill but I’ve milled a few bits and pieces over the years. I got them for free from someone who thought they were duff. Bit of fettling and remaking of keys etc and they are perfectly usable.

I’ll often have a couple of gauges set on a job. One for the width of the boards, another for the thickness. Then a double pin for the mortises and possibly another for the tenon. As a hand tool user, and an out of practice one, it’s good to have the tools set for making the replacement part.

Last edited:
Can't recall my shap ever being that tidy. Looks good.

I put in solar panels earlier this year and have been fantasing about some wind power.

How about some details on your system?
It’s nothing complicated. 300W of solar into a CTEK charge controller which also has an alternator input which I have a small battery and the wind turbine connected to. The turbine is an AC unit that goes through a rectifier. The main battery is 110AHr Gel. The combination of the solar and the wind seems to be enough. I can dim the strips and they are split into groups so I only light the areas I need.

I actually used the lathe yesterday to make a brass rod with a magnet fitted to the end to pull the metal benchdog NFT hole plugs out.
It’s surprising how often I use them. The mill often get used as a drill but I’ve killed a few bits and pieces over the years. I got them for free from someone who thought they were duff. Bit of fettling and remaking of keys etc and they are perfectly usable.
it is interesting that when you have them, and once you’ve worked out how to use them, how much they get used. I have 2 mills that I use all the time, but I rarely use my metal lathe these days, which is a shame as it’s without doubt my favourite tool. They are miraculous things. But it’s a whole different set of skills and knowledge.

Back